Gym disaster

Options
So I had my first personal training session today.

Started on a treadmill, then eliptical, then rower, then excercise bike - getting harder work but okay.

Then we move onto lunges....

First proper focused lunge I do, forcing myself to go as low as I can I feel faint. Pause for a while to recover then go on. After a while my vision swims again, but not so bad. Then a few more minutes in I go down and can't get back up. Have to be helped by the trainer to a nearby bench where I proceed to be sick all over the gym floor :-( to be fair I did warn him but the nearest toilet was a flight of stairs away.

Personal training session ends early as a result.

So yeah, that went well then....

Replies

• curlygirly80
    curlygirly80 Posts: 176
    Options
    Hey, but at least you gave it a go! That must have been a biggest loser type of workout to toss your cookies! LOL
  • cherylroyle
    Options
    Oh torygirl, that must have been some workout! I do hope your personal trainer wasn't a looker to make it even worse, LOL! :-)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I tried insanity...did this in my living room...not as embarassing.

At least you know it was a hell of a workout :)
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This happened to a friend of mine while doing crunches. So I have a feeling you're not the first time someone's done that in front of your trainer and it probably won't be the last. Don't let it stop you from continuing to go!!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally did the same thing the first time I tried Insanity. I did it during the warm up. We win at life.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Don't fret. If you're new to exercise, that kind of workout would surely make most people nauseous. Get back up and do it again next session, you will be fine!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Must have been a great workout! Maybe take it a little slower next time!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I always say about lunges, "It always ends in tears". But vomit is not too far a stretch either. Lunges are brutal.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Most would give up, but dont. It happens to so many, they were pushing you so had to expect it and you did warn them.. Good for sticking it out..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh lord.. at least you went, and did it..be proud of that.

With my first trainer, I would get nauseous.. but I never did get sick thankfully. I've also felt like passing out before, fallen off benches while doing exercises, dropped things, and basically made a total fool of my self.. and my trainer still trains me.

If he/she is a decent trainer, they will laugh it off and know to go easier next time.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    #1 rule at the gym ! Don't be afraid to fail.!! you did not finish your workout now but you will get back in there and get it done, before you know it that workout you can not finish now will be a walk in the park and then you will have to find a new challenge
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I had my first personal training session today.

Started on a treadmill, then eliptical, then rower, then excercise bike - getting harder work but okay.

Then we move onto lunges....

First proper focused lunge I do, forcing myself to go as low as I can I feel faint. Pause for a while to recover then go on. After a while my vision swims again, but not so bad. Then a few more minutes in I go down and can't get back up. Have to be helped by the trainer to a nearby bench where I proceed to be sick all over the gym floor :-( to be fair I did warn him but the nearest toilet was a flight of stairs away.

Personal training session ends early as a result.

So yeah, that went well then....

Sorry to hear this. I would ask your trainer why they had you do cardio before lifting/resistance exercises.........
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hope you're ok. If yes, then let it be one of those "I'm sure I'll laugh about later" memories. Truly a workout that deserves respect. :-)
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. That's a nasty workout. Did you tell the trainer you were getting tired? That sounds like a lot of cardio to begin with. I'm surprised the trainer couldn't sense your level of exhaustion coming on.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's not good at all. At least the trainer knows you will push yourself. I think you should get a free session for that!

Just keep at it and it'll get better!

I'm sure that's not the worst thing the trainer has ever had happen with a client!

Good luck to you! Jen
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Stay properly hydrated both before and the day before your session, and pay a little closer attention to the signals your body gives next time and make sure to take some breaks. I had a trainer once who teased me a little by saying that fanning me when I was attempting to not pass out while on the floor was the easiest money he's ever made.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Epic fail on the trainer's part. Their job is to push you but also to monitor your progress and make sure you don't toss your cookies. Sorry to hear but at least you know your limits. Now it's time to push them...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I hope he had the good sense to tell you "GREAT JOB! So, see you tomorrow?"

And you had the good sense to laugh and say "Definitely"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    uh... was he paying attention at all
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    No worries. I puked during my first PT session. I now know how hard I can push myself without hitting that point. I no longer use a PT because I really don't want to be in that situation again. You are not alone.