brown rice

Options
2»

Replies

• stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    What works for me is to cook it exactly like pasta. Put the rice in a pot with A LOT of water...just like pasta. It boils/simmers for maybe 35 min or so? But take a few grains out and bite into it. You can tell when its done. Then strain in a seive. It really is the easiest for me. Hope it helps.

This man knows how to cook! Do what he says. :)
  • JozefTorba
    JozefTorba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I almost gave up on brown rice because it seems impossible to cook it right. Then i tried Uncle bens brown rice and never had any problems with it. Follow the instructions on the packed 10 minutes in boiling water and its perfect. Hope this helps give it a try and let us know.
  • Teenagh
    Teenagh Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, when I cook brown rice I cover the rice in the saucepan with roughly 2 inches of water. Then bring it to the boil, with the lid on, turn the heat right down and cook for about 25 minutes. It's done when there are little holes in the surface of the rice. It can take 30 or 35 minutes, just needs some patience and try not to lift the lid when cooking.
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    Here's the deal on brown rice, put 2 cups of rice soaking in water for about 20 mins to 30 mins to soften the rice. Now put the 2 cups rice and add 5 cups to boil. You can use butter or olive oil for taste. You can also use low sodium chicken broth instead of water for better taste. I like to shred carrots into the rice when done or any veggie of your choice. Well bonappete :)

chicken broth / veg stock gives it lovely flavour i swear by it .... 20 - 25 minutes in enough water should cook it to a nutty texture - about the same time it takes to grill / roast a chicken breast!
  • mmbax06
    mmbax06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The trick is not peaking. Do NOT remove the lid. This helps a bunch with the cooking part.