When Will I Start Seeing A Difference?

Options
I have been dieting/excercising for 5 weeks now and, as of today, I have lost 12.6 lbs. When am I supposed to start seeing a difference in my body? I feel like I look the same and my clothes are still fitting the same (though I usually only wear elastic pants, like yoga pants and tank tops). I thought after at least 10 pounds I or my hubby would notice. But, he hasn't said anything either. Is it just too soon? I know seeing the improvements would motivate me more and I feel kinda bumbed out.

My start weight was 184 and I am now 171.4.

Replies

• jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to notice it until I'd lost about 20 pounds, though people around me were noticing when I'd lost 15. It's different for everyone, though.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Gratz on your loss!

I actually don't remember when I saw a difference, but to be honest, I think other folks noticed before I did.

My advice is to keep chugging away and be patient. Take pride in knowing what you are doing is good for you and your body is already rewarding you, even if you can't see the immediate effects. Take some measurements so in addition to the scale, you have another tool in which to measure your progress.

Keep up the good work!
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    20lbs was the magic mark for me too . You are doing fantastic so stay focused and keep doing what you are doing !
    When you do notice it , it will be a huge difference overnight :)
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    Ditto to the other posts. Take pics and measurements every month or every 10 lbs or so to keep yourself motivated. Continue pushing you will see the results!
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! That is fantastic! The BEST way to SEE your loss is measurements, photos, clothing (to big) AND the scale. You can not rely on one or the other. So take measurements of your neck, shoulders, chest (like measuring yourself to be fitted for a bra), waist, hips, Right and Left Arm (making a muscle), thighs, and calves. I do this at the first of every month along with new photos and weigh in! It is AMAZING to watch inches and lbs fall off! Even if you can only see the change on paper, it is exhilarating!

Feel free to add me to your friends list if you have any Qs!

Thanks for posting,
    Sara
  • jreeves628
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to go buy myself a tape measure. I wish I would have taken a before picture, oh well.
  • nenazagal
    nenazagal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job! thats awsome.That is great acomplishment. I am on my 6th week and ive only lost 5lbs :( not sure whats going on either, I work out every day, doing 1hr zumba. My calorie intake is never above my goal. maybe you can give me some tips on how to loose more lbs. I guess 1hr of zumba a day is not enough.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started to notice at 10lbs but only because i take pics of myself every 2 weeks. I know that sounds obsessive but its the best way i can see the weight loss in myself. My parent really started noticing at 15lbs and so did all my friends. Im at 28lbs now and everyone has commented on it. I suggest taking pics like once a month or however often you want cause its a great visual aid for yourself.
  • jreeves628
    Options
    Great job! thats awsome.That is great acomplishment. I am on my 6th week and ive only lost 5lbs :( not sure whats going on either, I work out every day, doing 1hr zumba. My calorie intake is never above my goal. maybe you can give me some tips on how to loose more lbs. I guess 1hr of zumba a day is not enough.

I wouldnt consider myself an expert but if you would like to share your diary with me I can try to help or I can tell you more about what I'm doing via email.