Cream, Cheesy, Meaty 300 Calorie Lunch!

Options
I have gotten soooo sick of salad lately that I finally had a day off today and decided to use my time experimenting. Not to toot my own horn, but I would say that it turned out very successful! Yay!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of Brown Rice (Or another whole grain equivalent to brown rice, I used Rice Select's Royal Blend). 220 calories
1 can of Tuna (I suppose you could also sub in canned Salmon or Chicken). 40 calories
1 tbsp of Reduced Fat Cream Cheese. Approx. 30 calories or less
10 slices of Jalapenos from a Jar (like the little circles you put on nachos). 5 calories

Cook rice as instructed on package (I cooked a whole cup and then only used half). Meanwhile, drain tuna and finely dice jalapenos. When the rice is finished, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Then microwave (or I have a NeWave which is 10x better) for 3-5 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. Top with your favorite herb or seasoning!

Its like a tuna helper without all the nasty processed powdered cheese junk aaaand, it's super healthy, super FILLING, and only take 20 minutes to make!

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have gotten soooo sick of salad lately that I finally had a day off today and decided to use my time experimenting. Not to toot my own horn, but I would say that it turned out very successful! Yay!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of Brown Rice (Or another whole grain equivalent to brown rice, I used Rice Select's Royal Blend). 220 calories
    1 can of Tuna (I suppose you could also sub in canned Salmon or Chicken). 40 calories
    10 slices of Jalapenos from a Jar (like the little circles you put on nachos). 5 calories

Cook rice as instructed on package (I cooked a whole cup and then only used half). Meanwhile, drain tuna and finely dice jalapenos. When the rice is finished, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Then microwave (or I have a NeWave which is 10x better) for 3-5 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. Top with your favorite herb or seasoning!

Its like a tuna helper without all the nasty processed powdered cheese junk aaaand, it's super healthy, super FILLING, and only take 20 minutes to make!

That must be the smalles can of tuna ever for 40 calories
  • ZoAnnAlexis
    Options
    Ahh!! You're right! I just looked at the can again after reading your comment and it is totally 40 per serving. I feel like an idiot! haha Well then, I suppose its a 360 calorie lunch because there is 2.5 servings in the can! I guess thats not near as glamorous as I had thought, but it was still delicious!
  • Catiec76
    Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing!!! Even though I'm not the biggest tuna fan I'm going to try it!!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ahh!! You're right! I just looked at the can again after reading your comment and it is totally 40 per serving. I feel like an idiot! haha Well then, I suppose its a 360 calorie lunch because there is 2.5 servings in the can! I guess thats not near as glamorous as I had thought, but it was still delicious!

360 calorie lunch is still awesome. I'ma try this
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Sounds great! I'll probably try that this weekend!!! :happy:

And just say (or ask) if she was right on the tuna serving instead of making a smart *kitten* remark about the smallest can of tuna ever. :indifferent:
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That does sound yummy. I've never been a salad fan. I don't know how anyone could eat them everyday.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    bump sounds delicious!
  • Wendyrt46
    Wendyrt46 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - that sounds yummy and I'm going to try it! Probably minus the peppers or maybe with green pepper.
  • colli026
    colli026 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Sounds awesome and I will definitely try this.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great one! thanks for the info!:smile:
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome!! :) I'm gonna have to try this!!!!!
  • Zuhlke00
    Zuhlke00 Posts: 1
    Options

Ingredients:

• sandra_13
    sandra_13 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm looking for new ways to enjoy tuna. Thanks for the recipe :)
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love tuna and brown rice together, I often bring it to work for lunch because it's cheap and easy (much like myself, hehe) but have always added shredded cheddar - the cream cheese sounds awesome! Thanks for the reco! :happy:
  • Rosemarose
    Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump...anything with cheese is awesome in my book
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Gonna make this for lunch Monday!
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    nice.. going to try this...