What's the deal with sodium?

Options
So...I've recently added sodium as a nutrient for MFP to track. I'm constantly over. Everything has it -- cheese, meat, sugar-free Jello, etc. Granted, I have been partaking in processed foods lately, but it this an issue? What are the concerns?

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Well, it's essential for life, a natural craving like other macronutrients and water, 0 calories, and makes anything taste better but fat people like to blame it for causing water retention, weight gain, and high blood pressure (totally not the case).
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, it's essential for life, a natural craving like other macronutrients and water, 0 calories, and makes anything taste better but fat people like to blame it for causing water retention, weight gain, and high blood pressure (totally not the case).

As long as I'm getting 8+ glasses of water a day, am I flushing enough out?
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I gain water retention weight if I go over 2000 mg too many days in a row. I think as long as you are drinking water, it will depleat, but I have had times where it has lasted 3-4 days of drinking 12-16 glasses of water a day.

Just my experience.

Also, you will cut out A LOT of sodium by skipping the processed foods.
  • VMarkV
    Options

As long as I'm getting 8+ glasses of water a day, am I flushing enough out?

Just intake a consistent amount of sodium each day and you don't have to worry about anything (unless you have kidney impairment diagnosed to you).
    I eat about 10g a day <----do I look like I am holding water?
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends less than 1,500 mg of sodium per day. High sodium consumption results in high blood pressure (from water retention) that can result in stroke, heart disease, and kidney problems. You can either listen to some people here saying sodium doesn't matter or read AHA studies on the health risks of high sodium and how much money is spent in the health care system yearly to combat the effects. It has nothing to do with calories or nutrients. Stay away from processed foods, as they usually have tons of sodium.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Especially restaurant foods.
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This all makes sense. But, at a healthy screening at work last fall, I discovered I actually have *low* blood pressure! Ha, maybe this helps!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^^Wow. Way to throw 'fat people' under the bus. That's insensitive and not very accurate.

Although I don't believe that a younger person such as the OP has to worry that much about sodium intake. I do think that a diet that's regularly high sodium can be harmful to someone that is already predisposed to high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease. Or someone of a certain age (ahemm :blushing: ) Everything in moderation. Easy on the processed foods. And use the American Heart Assoc's recommendation as a guideline. But don't stress too much if you're a little bit over.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends less than 1,500 mg of sodium per day. High sodium consumption results in high blood pressure (from water retention) that can result in stroke, heart disease, and kidney problems. You can either listen to some people here saying sodium doesn't matter or read AHA studies on the health risks of high sodium and how much money is spent in the health care system yearly to combat the effects. It has nothing to do with calories or nutrients. Stay away from processed foods, as they usually have tons of sodium.

The AHA has issued some pretty bad guidelines over the years. The bottom line is that sodium is the last thing anyone who needs to lose weight should be worrying about.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options

your doctor will tell you if you have high blood pressure to monitor the sodium. If you have hbp(high blood pressure) then get your sodium down to 1500 to try to show the doc you are watching your sodium and to prove to him that your hbp is not caused by sodium. Otherwise I would not worry too too much unless you are like double or triple your numbers.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you avoid the overly processed foods, it's tough to go over. I average less than 1,000 mg a day without even trying. And I eat cheese daily.

But, unless you're hypertensive, it isn't that big of a deal.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

The AHA has issued some pretty bad guidelines over the years. The bottom line is that sodium is the last thing anyone who needs to lose weight should be worrying about.

Yeahhhhh not too sure about that. Someone that is overweight needs to be aware of everything that they are putting into their body. Sodium, carbs, sugar etc. Being overweight makes you more susceptible to various health issues, I wouldn't classify one macro over another.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This all makes sense. But, at a healthy screening at work last fall, I discovered I actually have *low* blood pressure! Ha, maybe this helps!

Same here(93/56 was my last reading)........I think it just all depends on the individual person and their needs.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    You will find the healthy foods (such as fresh fruits and veggies) have a lot less sodium.

They now offer some lunch meats with less sodium, so you can always ask for that! :)

I try to not go overboard with sodium,e specially that time of the month! Just keep drinking water though!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options

The idea of "low" blood pressure is kind of moot. What you need to know is your "baseline" BP to really know. Also, unless you're feeling lightheaded/dizzy/etc, your blood pressure is probably just fine because your "low" number is your baseline.

As for sodium, I started watching my intake because about 3 mos into my weight loss journey, I remember just feeling pudgy all the time. I started tracking and was alarmed at my near-5000mg a day intake. After I stopped so many frozen/processed foods I started to feel much better.
  • VMarkV
    Options
    My BP is 106/68mmHg, I weigh between 161-164lbs at 6' tall.
    Getting enough Magnesium can undo the 2mmHg or so increase in BP that can be attributed to sodium consumption.

Again, being over ideal body weight (this may be lower than you would think) is the biggest contributing factor for high blood pressure, then age. Salt consumption is insignificant unless you are predisposed to high BP (which is most likely due to being overweight) or have impaired kidneys (diabetes). Did I mention I take up to 1g of caffeine a day and still have below normal BP?
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    Sodium is the devil...especially around that time of the month. Don't go over the daily requirement and drink plenty of water.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some very well-respected medical professionals disagree mightily with those guidelines. A little research will show you that some of us random Internet people aren't actually idiots spouting unfounded BS.