New to exercise

Hello there...I am 24yrs old, 174lbs, 5'2. My goal is to lose @ least 40-50lbs & just started dieting/exercising(jumping rope)...really need to shed these pounds & tone up especially this mid section. Wondering if I should just do cardio to lose some weight before I start doing situps, crunches, leg lifts, etc. Or should I do a combination? I figure just cardio first to shed a little before I start toning but I don't know. Any help is appreciated. & friend requests for motivation would be GREAT. Thx

Replies

• Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    You should actually do both cardio and weights. :) Also take your measurements. thats a very important thing. There will be times when the scale may not move but you will lose inches. Also another good motivational thing is to take pics of your start then maybe a month later and so forth.

Not sure what kinds of exercise you like or if your a gym person. i personally dont have time for the gym and find the spare bedroom or the living room florr at 6am before anyone else gets out of bed the best solution. Jillian michaels DVD workouts are amazing. Not to be confused with easy i may add. She is tough, but she gets you results. :) they run about 10 bucks at walmart or you can get them online. and only take about 25 to 27 minutes. only requires a small set of hand weights, mine are 2lbs and a exercise mat.

I did the 30 day Shred last month and it you really stick with it, you will be so glad you did. I am doing her ripped in 30 now. you are welcome to add me if you would like for motivation.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Add the other also, I started out by walking everyday but also did muscle building exercises. Muscle help burn calories more efficiently.
  • lmoro
    lmoro Posts: 1 Member
    A combination is better, for now do at least three days of cardio and two toning days. Building lean muscle will help turn burn fat as well.:smile:
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Welcome, and congrats!

The exercise is the big thing to focus on. Do cardio and do strength training. Basically get your heart rate up, do weights to increase the muscle and you will burn more calories and it will all make a difference on being successful.

One hint would be.

If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got.

So find what you like to do, dance, walk, run. Move and have fun with it.

Barbara
  • Determined_21
    Determined_21 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you ALL so much...very good advice! =)