Calories are my ally, not my enemy

Options
I have been on MFP since late February. Like most of you, I put in my numbers, set it to lose a pound a week. I lost 6 bs right away then stalled. I didn't lose a thing for 4 weeks. I was starving all the time, struggling to compete my work outs and my body was just fatigued. I then found the group: Eat more, Weigh Less and I was sold from the beginning. I upped my calories and began a heavy lifting program. The results in 4 weeks were amazing, 1.5" off my waist, 6lbs dropped, and 3% reduction in my BF%. I look and feel like a totally different person. That is when the realization hit me:

I am no longer on a diet, I am changing my body.

Calories and food have taken on a whole new meaning for me. Calories are no longer my enemy. They are my ally in helping me lift heavier, burn fat, and reshape my body. I no longer look at food and say: "I can't eat that". I no longer feel like I am in prison. I eat what I want, I log it, and move on. What has happened is that I find myself making healthier choices all around, not because I fear food or what it will do for me, but because I know if I put better food in my body, that weight that is waiting for me won't be as heavy, that my muscles will heal faster, and I can lift more the next time I work out. This is something I can do for the rest of my life.

I still have a WL goal. My goal is to look good, be strong, and feel better both physically and psychologically. Join with me, forget the scale (or at least only get it out once a month). Track your food choices, and use food as your fuel to change your body, not as your enemy. Enjoy your life, eat BBQ and have a small piece of dessert or a drink at the party, don't stress over occasional non-clean food choices and focus on the long term goal of body recomposition.

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    One bump. :(
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Haven't weighed in over a month :) The mirror is the best gauge of success, as well as in my case, recording my lifting and tracking my progress there.

And chocolate milk is heaven on Earth. You cannot spend your calories more wisely than on chocolate milk.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow your words sounded like music to my ears...

what would i need to do to get started? can you map it out for me?

about me:
    i was so into working out (20 mins cardio a day) before and i lost some pounds.
    but now i am not motivated at all, a wee bit depresses and spend my time stressing about all the food i eat
    i have not worked out in three months and have no desire to start back sadly.
    so i am looking to start something new to pull myself back into a good place.

thanks!
  • ashleymarie611
    ashleymarie611 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I completely agree,Chris. ;-) I do a STE everytime I read a thread where someone says "What was the hardest food for you to give up?" Or "I'm only eat 900 calories a day and doing an hour of Insanity a day. What am I doing wrong?" It so ridiculous.

I'm glad you took this leap with me,love. Thanks for trusting me that this wasn't a lame thing to do. :-) Lol.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    wow your words sounded like music to my ears...

what would i need to do to get started? can you map it out for me?

about me:
    i was so into working out (20 mins cardio a day) before and i lost some pounds.
    but now i am not motivated at all, a wee bit depresses and spend my time stressing about all the food i eat
    i have not worked out in three months and have no desire to start back sadly.
    so i am looking to start something new to pull myself back into a good place.

thanks!

You can start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories

Then you need to pick a goal. Mine is squat 200 lbs in 12 weeks. I am getting ready to hit the 130 mark on Friday and I am well on my way to reaching my goal.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    I completely agree,Chris. ;-) I do a STE everytime I read a thread where someone says "What was the hardest food for you to give up?" Or "I'm only eat 900 calories a day and doing an hour of Insanity a day. What am I doing wrong?" It so ridiculous.

I'm glad you took this leap with me,love. Thanks for trusting me that this wasn't a lame thing to do. :-) Lol.

Me too, love. Thank you so much for changing my life, a second time :D
  • ashleymarie611
    Options

Me too, love. Thank you so much for changing my life, a second time :D

Aww, you make everyday better,love. :) Look how many people you've helped with that one little thread of yours! You are amazing! I will need your help with Clara, I think. 900 calories a day only!!;-( I'm worried about her.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I agree and can't thank that group enough for getting me out of my 700 cal a day mentality :)
  • ashleymarie611
    Options
    I agree and can't thank that group enough for getting me out of my 700 cal a day mentality :)

Good for you! :-) I can't even imagine eating so little. Especially with two little boys to chase after. Lol. I wouldn't have enough energy to do anything on so few calories. Plus, as Chris can attest, I'm kind of a ***** when I'm hungry. Lol. :-)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Congratulations!! Our bodies are designed to perform like little machines when we fuel them and tweak them and take care of them... so good.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

Good for you! :-) I can't even imagine eating so little. Especially with two little boys to chase after. Lol. I wouldn't have enough energy to do anything on so few calories. Plus, as Chris can attest, I'm kind of a ***** when I'm hungry. Lol. :-)

it actually started from lack of money and a lot of other stuff and just kept getting worse....but just glad it's over and back to a healthy us :))
  • ashleymarie611
    Options

it actually started from lack of money and a lot of other stuff and just kept getting worse....but just glad it's over and back to a healthy us :))

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that happened.:-( I understand. It's these people on here that make a conscious choice to trash their
    metabolism that I don't understand. I agree with the idea that your body is a machine and it needs the right fuel to run properly. I'm so glad Chris and I figured that out together. :-)

Glad to hear you're back to being healthy too. :-)