Lots of sugar in Yogurt

Options
I'm not a huge yogurt fan. I'm looking for a decent tasting yogurt with less sugar. I just had yoplait and noticed it has a ton of sugar in it.
This was the first time I had purchased yoplait. Son said it was sweeter (duh, had I looked, I certainly would know why).

So rather than going to the store and handling all the different yogurts, I thought I would ask all on MFP.
Why kind do you eat, that isn't just loaded with sugar?

thanks

Replies

• DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit.

Editing to add: It takes some getting used to. It's TART.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt, add your own fruit.

Plain Greek, add your own fruit and a pack or two of sweetner. Slowly back down the sweetner to get used to the tartness.

Get sugar free syrups, sugar free pudding mix or even crystal light and mix those in with either regular or Greek yogurt.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt, What is the difference, Greek or NON Greek?
  • vypeters
    Options

Greek yogurt will say "Greek yogurt" on the label. It's in most grocery stores right next to the traditional yogurt. It's creamier than regular yogurt and has about double the protein, but it can be tart and take some getting used to. I used the method described above. If you don't like Greek, you can just stick with the regular kind you're used to.
  • Esther50
    Options
    I'm all for more protein.
    I will give it a go.
    thanks
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I find that the greek yogurt has too much sugar for me, it bumps up my carbs too much, although I love it, and miss it!!! I get Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control in strawberries & cream. There is another version of Dannon Light & Fit, but the sugar is high, you have to make sure you get the carb & sugar control one.
  • vypeters
    Options
    I find that the greek yogurt has too much sugar for me, it bumps up my carbs too much, although I love it, and miss it!!! I get Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control in strawberries & cream. There is another version of Dannon Light & Fit, but the sugar is high, you have to make sure you get the carb & sugar control one.

Greek yogurt itself has very little carb. The carbs are from the sugar and fruit they put in it. Your Dannon has artificial sweetners - if you're OK with those, you can add sweetner and fruit to Greek yogurt yourself.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I look for yogurt, I compare the protein to the sugar to see if it's worth eating. If the sugar is higher than or close-to-equal-to the protein, it's a definite no. Now I mostly buy the store brand nonfat plain greek yogurt (the one I get at kroger has 23g protein to 9g sugar per cup, though I usually 1/2 a cup at a time, since that's enough for me). Then I stir in my own additions.

I didn't start out able to eat grek yogurt though. I started with the more sugar-y kind (Brown Cow brand, then Chobani was my favorite for a while when I started caring more about protein) and worked my way down to less sugar over a period of time. It was more calories and sugar in the short term, but it really got me liking greek yogurt, instead of making eating it a chore to do since it was "best" for me. Now I find most yogurts too sweet.
  • Esther50
    Options
    All great information. Big move will be to use my own fruit.
    thanks everyone!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do plain, non fat Geek yogurt. Yes it has sugar in it but it's not added, it's from the milk. I'll add my own fruit or honey or maple syrup to it. I also eat it plain and use it as a substitute for sour cream and mayo.
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the 0% Fage, eithter with fruit and honey as everyone else mentioned, or a little mixed into salsa with tortilla chips! My sister was disappointed to notice the sugar/calorie content of yoplait when she was dieting and found that her husband's taco bell taco had fewer calories and carbs than her yogurt.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Greek is strained, running off excess water and lactose with it,
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt itself has very little carb. The carbs are from the sugar and fruit they put in it. Your Dannon has artificial sweetners - if you're OK with those, you can add sweetner and fruit to Greek yogurt yourself.

Yup! This is exactly what I did/do. Plain greek yogurt and I add stevia & vanilla or almond extract for a creamy treat!

Or, I leave it plain and mix it with fresh fruit and whole grain cereal - currently my favorite breakfast.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. I love Fage! :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    0% Fage Greek Yoghurt here too. I add pb2 or some milled flax, a tbsp low sugar jam and some mixed seeds and stir it all together. It is my dessert each evening, so to speak.