Slow Jog?

Options
I started running on the treadmill to force myself to start running faster - 6mph (10 min mile). A friend said that 6mph isn't fast at all. It's a "slow jog" according to him. I was very discouraged. :-/

6mph isn't sprinting or racing, but I wouldn't call it a mere jog! What do you think?

Replies

• bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Don't listen to him, that's fantastic!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone based on their level of fitness. Don't compare your fitness level to others. If that feels like a pace you can run comfortably, then it's the right pace for you.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first triathlon running 15 minutes miles...pay him no attention!
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's all realative.....for a runner..it's SLOW.....for me it's just right.
  • MrsSnelly
    MrsSnelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone's definition of running vs. jogging will be a little different. I consider myself a runner, but my friend who runs a 5ish minute mile would not call what I do running. It depends on where you are individually, and what your goals are. I started a walk/jog program in March (basically a couch-to-5K) but it's taking me longer than 8-9 weeks to get there, just because of my own quirks and schedule. I think any type if increase in your cardio workout is a positive thing, and you should celebrate your increased energy and cardiovascular capacity. I'm sorry your friend was down on you or made you feel bad, but I think you are doing great - I haven't actually paced out a mile yet since I don't run on a treadmill and the local track is down for construction, but I average 12ish minutes for a mile so 10 minutes is great! My ultimate goal is an 8-minute mile, which I've never done in my life, but I know it will take a while to get there. Celebrate your success and keep logging those miles!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    For me that is fast!!! The other issue is how long are you jogging? It's far easier to run a 10 minute mile for 1 or 2 miles; not so easy for 26.2. Just depends on your own personal goals. But, no one should be discouraging you!!
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow, your friend would probably sh#t a brick at my jog. 3.5mph...some people walk faster. But you tell him I'm fat and I'm working on it :)
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to jog for 2 minutes at 4.0. We all got to start somewhere. Your doing just fine.
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow, your friend would probably sh#t a brick at my jog. 3.5mph...some people walk faster. But you tell him I'm fat and I'm working on it :)

Agreed!!!!
    I feel like I finished a marathon after 30 minutes of jogging at 5mph.
  • T_Marie4
    T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not a 'runner' at all and for me 5 MPH is good - it keeps my HR around 165 - 170 range. I can do 6 MPH for a little bit, but it's too much for long distance - HR up in the upper 180's and I just can't sustain that for distance. At 5 MPH I can go for 20 minutes solid and still feel okay when I'm done, not like I could pass out and die right there like I do at 6! LOL My preference is to keep my HR up 160-170 for longer periods rather than stopping/starting frequently to catch my breath. It really depends on you, your fitness, even your height - some people literally RUN at 5 while others it's a barely a jog. I think it's great that you're running and I say keep doing it! Don't be discouraged! Whatever you are comfortable doing is better than not doing anything at all!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There was a recent thread about the difference between joggers and runners and one of the articles linked to the OP suggested that runners were the folks going 12 to 15 mph. (That's the kind of pace that wins marathons.....) I just about wet myself laughing.

Think about it, 6mph would have you finishing a 10K race in a little over an hour. This would have put you (barely) in the top half of those who finished the Ottawa Race Weekend 10km in 2011, the stat is a little skewed by the walkers and it won't get you on the Olympic team but it's not slow.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's totally relative. For a 6' slim guy, 6 mph probably is a slow jog. For a 5'1" shortie like me, 6 mph is a comfortable run.

You may not win any races at 6 mph, but you can definitely increase your stamina and help yourself toward your fitness goals. Little by little, you'll shave off seconds and you'll never know how fast you can be until you take the first step, or slow jog, as your friend would say! Good luck! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's totally relative. For a 6' slim guy, 6 mph probably is a slow jog. For a 5'1" shortie like me, 6 mph is a comfortable run.

Height is irrelevant. It's about the turnover and the level of fitness. I'm 5'4". 6 mph is very easy for me, but not because of my height, but because I have run a ton of miles the last several years.
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Experience plays a huge role in it. Some people will start off there because of stride length, height, ability, etc. 4 mph on the treadmill used to KILL me, now I can run consistently for an hour at 5.2. It takes time.

Right now you may consider yourself a jogger or a runner...use what works best for you and good luck on your runs!
  • kben71
    kben71 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, I would probably agree with him. I run 2 miles at that pace every few days, it's about the best I can do right now. Just from looking around at others at the gym and the runners I know at work I would agree that a 10 minute mile pace is a beginner runner pace and is more of a jog. There's nothing wrong with that, it still burns calories and it still improves or maintains cardio health.

anecdotal 0.02 deposited
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into running, and run between 11-12 min miles ... hopeing to get back down to 10 min miles which was what I was running training for the marathon 2001 ... they also had slower training groups and faster training groups... Just do what feels good to you ... I will be happy with a 10 min mile when I get to that pace again....

Connie
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    6mph isn't sprinting or racing, but I wouldn't call it a mere jog! What do you think?

I should call you speedy! I do 5 mph for my cardio. I have one bad knee that limits my speed but I make up for it by adding an incline. It still kicks my butt.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill to force myself to start running faster - 6mph (10 min mile). A friend said that 6mph isn't fast at all. It's a "slow jog" according to him. I was very discouraged. :-/

After he said this, by any chance, did you knee him as hard as you could in his boy parts and call him a sh!tburger with mustard and relish? Because he sure had it coming.

The word "jog" is relative. For me, personally the only time I "jog" is when I'm trying to remember something. I "run". If my "run" is somebody else's "jog", then I'm okay with that. If it's somebody else's "sprint", I'm okay with that also. But it's MY run, I'M running it, and by gumbo I'll refer to it how I freaking please. And anybody who tells me I'm not fast at all? That's somebody I'm not spending any more time with. Not because I'm sensitive, or needy, or some kind of drama queen. I just don't like hanging out with arrogant jerks.

My two cents on "slow jogging."

TriJoe.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You're a lot faster than me! Don't listen to you friend, do what makes you feel comfortable. You're doing a great job!