Sweeteners

Options
what are your opinion on sweeteners? better than sugar? too many chemicals? block weightloss? Brilliant substitute?

Replies

• wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Hate the taste...and not a fan of the research that shows the can inhibit weight loss.

I avoid them and just work on trying to cut back on sugar naturally. It's a work in process...I have a major sweet tooth.

I do like Agave nectar, though.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I only use stevia, no sugar, honey, or artificials.

ETA: Or I should say rarely use the above. I do eat fruit and the occasional maple syrup (love banana chocolate chips pancakes...mmmm). And if anyone is interested my preferred brand of stevia is body ecology (liquid).
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them. I prefer zero calorie sweeteners over sugar because they have no calories. They don't block weight loss.
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of anything artificial and aspartame is just awful (IMO). We go as natural as possible with raw honey, succanat, occasional raw sugar or pure maple syrup. I'm not as concerned with artificials halting weight loss as damaging my body, so I avoid them like the plague.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has been my choice for 30 years. Occasionally I'll have a regular soda, but diet is what has helped to keep me in check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat as naturally as possible.

I also believe in moderation and I'm trying my darndest to lose weight. No calorie sweeteners are a tool to get me where I need to go.

I've switched to stevia where I added sugar before. Which really only amounts to 1 packet a day in my morning tea and the occasional half packet added to my thai curries.

I drink about 5 diet sodas a week too. And that's not usually stevia.

When I'm maintaining I'll work on weaning myself off added sweeteners but if I don't, I'll go back to the real thing.
  • evlipford
    evlipford Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sweetners are so gross to me...It may be healthy but if it doesn't have that smooth taste of sugar I can't use them. I am all about being natural however if the taste doesn't make me want it then it won't go in my mouth.
  • hhindsle
    hhindsle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like stevia. Mom uses Truvia but just a difference in taste. I think stevia is sweeter.
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    I use organic stevia. It's not that expensive because one container of the individual packets lasts me a really long time. I don't use apartame products and Splenda was nice until it started making my ulcer hurt again. I hear Stevia and Splenda are good for pregnant ladies because it doesn't cross the placental barrier.

I don't use refined sugar and will use honey in my tea only if I am sick. I hardly every drink sodas but when I do, I drink Hansen's diet soda because it uses sucralose and all natural ingredients.

I'm big on all natural and organic foods. Eating a clean, primarily organic diet has healed my stomache ulcers.