If my stomach growls am I starving?

Options
So I am trying to re-train my body to disgusting between hunger and boredom/anything else. If I wait until my I feel my stomach growl, does my body think it is not going to get fed? My biggest worry would be that I put myself into a form of starvation mode. I obviously eat once this happens, just want to see what others think.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I get low level grumbles quite often, mainly on the days I lose weight.
  • kxblack
    kxblack Posts: 18
    Options
    keep sum unsalted nuts handy or a cpl srting cheese help hold off the growls they take longer to digest
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    hunger pains can also be a sign of dehydration and maybe you just need more water
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not always.

You could be just thirsty - drink water.
    Otherwise, my stomach makes noises shortly after I eat when its digesting. Or of course, you could be hungry.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a made up name for stalling...Please read up on it, it does not exist. And for me yes if my stomach growls I'm hungry, boredom just makes you go to the kitchen and look for anything and everything. I can't say if it growls your starving but hungry for sure.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Generally, I wait until my stomach is growling before I eat, otherwise I think I'm just eating out of boredom, or because it's "time to eat." You're not going to starve if you feel your stomach growling. It's a natural way that your body tells you it's time to eat.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are dieting, you are going to be hungry!! It will pass :)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like this little saying "If you don't know if you're hungry, chances are you're not."

If you know you are hungry, eat a little something, keep it around 100 calories and then go from there.

Chances are good that your body isn't used to eating its new amount of food yet. You're not starving. If you stick to your calorie goals, you're going to lose weight and shouldn't go into starvation mode.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Good lord, has your stomach never growled before? It's a normal thing!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When your stomach growls, it is merely the muscles moving around the acid to see if there is anything left to digest, when there isn't your body "lives" off the "reserves" you have built up in your fat, hence how we lose weight. Don't eat as soon as you growl, give it about 30 mins to an hour, then eat. Not to mention drink water before you put any food in, because you may just be emtpy, not necessarily hungry. Starvation mode takes anywhere from 60-96 hours before the body goes into it, so believe me you aren't starving!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When your stomach growls, it is merely the muscles moving around the acid to see if there is anything left to digest, when there isn't your body "lives" off the "reserves" you have built up in your fat, hence how we lose weight. Don't eat as soon as you growl, give it about 30 mins to an hour, then eat. Not to mention drink water before you put any food in, because you may just be emtpy, not necessarily hungry. Starvation mode takes anywhere from 60-96 hours before the body goes into it, so believe me you aren't starving!

This!

Those sounds are called borborgymus. It's the sound of your stomach juices splashing against the walls while being squashed around like a pastry bag. ^_^ yummy.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    my "stomach" makes more noises when preparing to evacuate than it does when I'm hungry

Same here sister.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    my "stomach" makes more noises when preparing to evacuate than it does when I'm hungry

Same here sister.

LOL... I love your photo... hilarious.