is going over on protien ok?

Options
Lately i have been going way over on protein. Not fats but exclusively protein...is that ok? I also have a hard time getting my set amount of carbs in for the day...not on purpose I just come up short...suggestions?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If you're going over the default setting for protein from MFP (15% of your daily calories) and you don't have underlying health issues saying to watch your protein then it's fine.. I set my protein to 35% of my daily calories to get close to my goal of 1 gram per lb of lean body mass..
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    should it be 35%? is that better?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kidney problem? >> Yes >> check with your doc.

V
    V

No

V
    V

It's fine.
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If protein makes up more than 30% of your daily calories then no it's not okay.. Too much protein can cause kidney problems, you can actually lose muscle mass and minerals due to dehydration. Actually just studied this as I am preparing for a degree in dietetics.
  • merisendabills
    Options
    I know a lot of bodybuilders/athletes have their diet 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. That's what I try to get in.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i aim for 1 gram for a pound of bodyweight.
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're loading up on protein I sure pray you're getting a healthy dosage of fiber. The porcelain throne will not be a pleasant visit if you have to sit & strain. Hehe! Honestly, I go over on my protein a tad bit on those days I workout. Only because I know I need to start repairing the muscles I've just worked out. How much are you going over in your protein? Here's a link about protein that might be helpful: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/47796735#47796735.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I'll open my diary....I eat A LOT of veggies.... is that 1 gram for lean body mass only?