3, 2, 1 cake help please!

Options
rchambers2072
rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
Planning to buy the cake mixes this afternoon. How do I figure out how many calories are in each serving? I mean, how do you figure out how many 3 tbs servings are in the zippy bag full of both cake mixes? Aside from actually measuring them out from one bag to another. Really don't want to play with my food that much if I can help it. LOL! I looked in the database, and there are all kinds of entries, ranging from 10 calories up to 110 calories. Someone has to know!

Replies

• Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I used Duncan Hines Angel food cake and Devils Food cake~My figures were 88 calories per cake.
  • rchambers2072
    Options
    How did you determine that? How many servings did you say both boxes together made?
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I actually did measure from one bag to another. But I used a 1-cup measure. 1-cup = 16 tbsp. I counted how many cups I got, multiplied by 16 then divided by 3. For my Devil's Food/Angel Food combo I came up with 40 servings and after putting it in the recipe builder and got 90 calories.
    I used Betty Crocker - Angel Food Cake Mix Fat Free, 456 g: total calories 1,680 and Pillsbury Moist Supreme - Devil's Food Cake Mix, 516 g total calories 1,920. Total combined calories 3600 divide by 40 = 90. You get the total number of calories by seeing how many servings are in the box and multiplying it by the calories per serving.

The only other way to calculate how much you have is to weigh 3 tbsp. Then weigh the entire bag. Take that weight and divide by the weight of the 3 tbsps. So in the case above if 3 tbsp weighs 24.3 g and the entire bag weighs 972 g then you divide 972 by 24.3 and you get 40 and that would be the number of servings.

One thing to keep in mind, if you use different mixes you have to recalculate.
  • rchambers2072
    Options
    Ahh, that helps. Thank you. Don't really care for devils food anyway, so was going to have to recalculate, but measuring out cups instead of tablespoons, or weighing 3 tbs and figuring it that way had not occurred to me. Thanks!