High protein meals/snacks please help!

Options
My mum is terrible when it comes to knowledge on food. For example, she didn't realise there was sugar in fruit! Please don't think shes an idiot shes just never been educated about it.

I need some simple to make high protein meals or snacks for her. Shes currently running on a lot of refined carbs and slowly getting into the habit of eating complex carbs, but still doesnt have enough protein in her diet.

Could you please help me out?

Also some alternatives for high sugar snacks - shes diabetic and is clueless about what is low in sugar....

No trolls please, I'm asking for help not a mouthful :-)

Thank you for any help you can provide :-)

Replies

• merisendabills
    Options
    Almonds, hard boiled eggs, jerky...if you google it, a lot comes up
  • merisendabills
    Options
    Here's a link to high protein snacks for diabetics:

http://blessedmom.hubpages.com/hub/High-Protein-Snacks-for-Diabetics
  • merisendabills
    Options
    My mom's diabetic, too, and I bought her a easy recipe book. There's tons on amazon.
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    i try to eat a high protein diet, but i dont know much about what a diabetic should eat, the protein snacks/ meals I like are:

grilled meats, with wholemeal carbs, brown rice, wholewheat tortilla, wholewheat pasta/noodles,
    eggs - made all ways, omelettes I find especially filling
    Greek yogurt is a great source of protein I recommend buying the big tub of Total 0% fat free greek yogurt, it is really thick and creamy, fat & sugar free. great with fruit, cereal, topping for anything really
    peanut butter on wholemeal bread/toast/crackers
    nuts
    yogurt, milk & berry milkshake/smoothies

also I make high protein, low fat, sugar free galettes (thick pancakes)
    1.5 tbsp total 0% yogurt
    1.5 oat bran (available by the porridge in tesco's)
    1 egg
    mix in any flavour, cocoa, cinnimon, vanilla, nutmeg etc
    & fry

hope this helps, good luck!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For protein anything involving Eggs, Grilled Chicken, Lean fish, Nuts, even the odd Protein bar is okay if she's in a rush - some brands make lower carb versions.

Don't scare her about the sugars in fruit. She only needs to avoid fruits that increase her sugars too much on a personal basis, and only she can find that out by testing after eating.

Oranges and watermelon (basically fruits that have a lot of the sugar in liquid form) are the usual culprits. But many other fruits, even if high in sugar, are perfectly fine for diabetics because the sugar comes packaged with a great deal of fiber that slows the digestion and insulin response. You don't want to scare her away from all the wonderful nutritional benefits that fruits can have for diabetics (I've been diabetic for 10 years now btw).