Calorie Burn Vs. True Benefit of Workout

Options
Quick thought/question: I am incorporating A LOT strength training/calisthenics into my routines the upcoming weeks. Now weight lifting, according to MFP doesn't burn a lot of calories (i.e. weights 30mins only burns 114 cals (for my weight)) Obviously, I know you are still getting tons of benefits out of it, that's ALWAYS been my best mode of getting in shape...I already know I am going to fail the challenge that I am apart of with trying to burn so many calories within a week and I know a lot of people are SO focused on calorie burn versus the true benefit of a certain workout...what's your thoughts?

What's your thoughts on calorie burn versus getting a TRULY good workout regardless of calories burned?

Replies

• joe808
    joe808 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree, the benefit of weight training is not seen on MFP. I think it's because there is so much variation from person to person on calories burned while weight lifting. I also agree that when I have seen the most benefit, I have been lfiting very regularly. I am trying now to get back into it as well as my cardio, I have fallen off on both and gained about 10! Ugh. Good luck, keep lifting.:happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I knocked out *all* of my cardio to work on my strength goals and lifting...and went from 22.7-20.6% body fat in a month. Chronic cardio turns off the genes for muscle growth and can increase cortisol. Lifting is where it's AT.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    In most cases, you will have a much easier time creating the majority of the caloric deficit through your diet.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    hmm interesting...bumping this
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I keep a balance between the 2...cardio one day and weights the next and so on. I'm just really finding it interesting how people are SO concerned with counting calories and burning calories than making a happy balance of your body.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I keep a balance between the 2...cardio one day and weights the next and so on. I'm just really finding it interesting how people are SO concerned with counting calories and burning calories than making a happy balance of your body.

I actually didn't count calories for the entire month. Or a couple months before that.
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options

I actually didn't count calories for the entire month. Or a couple months before that.

I count them, just to keep them controlled, but I don't get upset if I am over a bit, whereas some people do......I'm beginning to think calorie counting is a bit overrated....is that too bold to say? LOL
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I count them, just to keep them controlled, but I don't get upset if I am over a bit, whereas some people do......I'm beginning to think calorie counting is a bit overrated....is that too bold to say? LOL

Haha, CAREFUL!

I totally agree actually. There are times when being SUPER anal about calories is appropriate, but if you do it all. the. time., you're gonna burn out. Guilt has no place in your diet! :)
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options

Haha, CAREFUL!

I totally agree actually. There are times when being SUPER anal about calories is appropriate, but if you do it all. the. time., you're gonna burn out. Guilt has no place in your diet! :)

Haha, yeah, calorie police might arrest me. I'm not saying I go way overboard IF/WHEN I go over my limit, but when I do go over, which is never more than 200 cals and not a regular event, I don't get upset, as long as I know I made healthy choices. =)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing. When i started my journey a couple months ago i started researching different weight loss workouts. Time and time again I kept hearing about the benefits of circuit training. I found out that you can burn close to the number of calories as the eliptical but your muscles continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 48 hours. That convinced me to give it a try. I love circuit training with weights. You get your heart rate up to be considered a cardio workout but also have the great muscle building benefits. I have a video by Jackie Warner that I love. It is called Power Circuit Training. Really get a great burn. I know that I am building muscle because I wear a smaller size than when I previously weighed the same. I still have a lot of fat to lose but I can feel my body getting stronger. And it doesn't require expensive equipment.
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me, as you know, the feeling of a good workout and seeing the body transformation is more important to me than what the caloric burn shows. For months I worked hard at cardio and saw minimal improvement. As soon as I started lifting weights more often than cardio I saw a significant change in my body. I lost more inches, saw more definition, and felt better overall. (even with DOMS). If only I had concentrated more in this area of lifting early on..

Lifting weights is the key to my success!
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options
    Thanks for your response and also your support in giving me a piece of mind that I am NOT the only one who feels this way!!! Y'all are great!!! :happy: