Just Say No

Options
What's your best advice on walking away from food?

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Right when I started changing my diet and losing weight (this February), I was in a class on Domestic Violence Law; the course was so depressing that my professor brought in homemade, from-scratch cupcakes and cookies every week to cheer everyone up. The way I resisted at first was saying to myself, "I know exactly what those taste like. Yeah, they're good, but I already know that. Eating them isn't necessary to figure that out." And that allowed me to pass them up. I could remember the taste and, better yet, feel good about the decision I was making.

Then, within a few weeks, I wasn't even tempted anymore. The sugary smell actually grossed me out a bit. It just took a little while.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    When I cheat and feel miserable later. Yesterday's M&Ms made me feel like hell in the evening.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    At a meal, my success has come from saying "I will only eat until I'm no longer hungry" before I take my first bite. That prompts me to be mindful of how I'm feeling as I eat.

For snacks, I generally portion out what I'm "allowed" to eat, so that I don't just keep shoveling it in.

And for the things that just pop up (like @Zug's cupcakes), I make myself look up the calories before saying "yes", so that I know whether or not it "fits" into my plan for the day.

Today at the office, I had to say "no" to eclair cake, chocolate birthday cake and vanilla birthday cake, as well as chocolate chip cookies and ice cream (two separate celebrations going on today). I'm feeling strong in my conviction that all of these decisions will equal pounds lost, so each "no" makes me stronger!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I ask myself if I will regret not eating "Insert temptation here". Typically, I know very well that I will NOT regret passing on that food, and I walk away from it. Sometimes, it's totally worth it :P
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Take a nimble and save it for tomorrow when I plan my day out =)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i remember how i felt last time i cheated.

sometimes, you just really need it.
    but don't let it get to you. go right back to your healthy lifestyle.
    life is boring without fun foods ;D
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    figure out how long and what exercise is the equivalent to that food. For example, if I want a chocolate bar, it's the equivalent to an hour on the elliptical...no thanx lol
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I ask myself if I will regret not eating "Insert temptation here". Typically, I know very well that I will NOT regret passing on that food, and I walk away from it. Sometimes, it's totally worth it :P
    This is what I do as well. If it's store-bought cookies or something, I know it's not gonna be worth the calories. It's gotten to the point where I'd (sometimes) rather have the healthier options anyway. We had a pizza night with family last night, and I found myself wishing that I was eating salad instead.
  • AgapeLove7
    AgapeLove7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    plan something fun to do right after your meal so it's easier to walk away.. :)
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Distract yourself. Make yourself too busy to snack. You might even forget the food is there.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that old saying, "It's better to go to waste than on the waist."

And I tell myself something like, "I just saved X minutes on the elliptical for not eating that." ahahah it works for me