What is the best bread choice--is whole grain white ok?

Options
Hi. I have been eating whole grain white bread lately (1 slice only 70 calories.) I'm not a huge fan of whole wheat, and although I eat it, I never finish the whole loaf. My favorite, healthy multirain bread, is like 120 calories a slice. I like white bread though, and although white it also is whole grain (best of both worlds.)

But is this okay to eat when you are on a diet? I"m not the kind of person who can fully cut out carbs either. Becuase I like them too much. ONly bad thing I noticed is that the bread contains a lot of sodium, but so do a lot of foods.

I heard ezekial is the best bread because it is flourless, but I"m kinda nervous about eating bread that has the consistency of a cracker.

What do you guys recommend for the best bread, with good flavor? And is whole-grain white an ok choice, for someone who likes white but the healthy of whole wheat?

Thanks

fitforlife34

Replies

• 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    I don't know what the best bread is...but I've read that sourdough, which I love, is lowest on the glycemic index. Recently I have been eating a high fiber whole grain bread from Trader Joes.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    I eat the Trader Joe's flourless sprouted whole wheat berry bread. My family likes it too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Why not eat your favourite? I think that bread with more calories often (though not always) has more nutrition - you are getting a range of different seeds and grains, so the cals are coming from a nutritious source.
    If it is a few more cals, then just factor that into your day or your week.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I eat the Trader Joe's flourless sprouted whole wheat berry bread. My family likes it too.

I tried that. I thought it was nice, but bad thing is, if you don't eat it quick it goes bad VERY FAST. but yeah, Trader Joe's has great bread~!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

I tried that. I thought it was nice, but bad thing is, if you don't eat it quick it goes bad VERY FAST. but yeah, Trader Joe's has great bread~!

With all store-bought breads, I put the entire loaf / package in the freezer and take out to thaw each morning what I will want to eat that day. (Or the night before, if you will want it for breakfast.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I eat many types of breads, including white.