ARE PERSONAL TRAINERS WORTH THE MONEY$

Options
so i was thinking about getting a personal trainer but its a bit pricey! here in my town its $480/month for one on one training sessions 3 times a week. and $180/month for a group training session with about 5 pple in it. 3 times a week. is this expensive? would u consider it? or waste of money?

Replies

• lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thats expensive but it may be worth it if you can afford it. its not bad per session here i think i was quoted 35 dollars a session by a trainer at my gym. but it was during a promo i think so it may cost more now.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I see a trainer.. whom I adore, so I always say it's worth it.

At my gym it's roughly 50 dollars per session and you decide how often you want to see them(once a week, twice a week, etc).
    I currently see mine once a week, for three weeks a month and then we take an "off" week, where I do programs he set up for me strictly on my own.. and then go back to him with questions/concerns.

I recently bought 30 sessions(and these are private 1 on 1 sessions, that last for an hour) and I had to put 441.00 dollars as a down payment, and then I pay 179.50 dollars a month for 6 months to pay off the remainder of my balance. So totally after all the payments plus the downpayment, I'm paying 1,470 dollars.

So yes, it is a big chunk of change.. but the benefit I get from it is priceless!
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    I've only just taken the plunge and found a personal trainer. I started 2 weeks ago, and already know it was the right decision for me. I find his help and support so encouraging, and even though I have only seen him twice I feel so motivated to do other things through the week now.

It's great to get direction from someone who knows what they are talking about, and I've found it beneficial to have someone to push me that bit further than I'd have pushed myself.

I've never been fit, and I have a lot of weight to lose, but I already feel so much better about myself now that I've taken the first step.

My sessions are £30 an hour and I see him once a week. I can buy bulk sessions though for a reduced price, and have just bought 5 for £110.

I'd recommend one session and see what you think. Good luck with your decision.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I would say no......why can't you workout by yourself? Many people do it and do great :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer used to change up workouts every week (I used to do a 1 hour session per week). She was well worth it. It is great if you're starting out I think. If you got the coins, take up once per week for about a month or so so learn the stuff, specially if you're heavy lifting so you don't mess yourself up via bad form or anything
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I see my trainer once a month and he is worth each $$$
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i think it is very worth it.... .. but i dont stay with the same one.. i have had several trainers and have all brought something wonderful to my life... i have been lucky...but the only person that has lost weight is me .... everything has been up to me.... they r only there to help.. they cant do it for u...

i once weighed 310 .. i am weigh 140 no surgery just diet and gym.. everyday.. and yes i have had binges and hard days but i always keep a pix of what i once looked like ,... that keeps me going...

xoxoxoxoxoxox
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    so i was thinking about getting a personal trainer but its a bit pricey! here in my town its $480/month for one on one training sessions 3 times a week. and $180/month for a group training session with about 5 pple in it. 3 times a week. is this expensive? would u consider it? or waste of money?

I do group 4x a week at $300 pp, per month.. so thats good. Personally, I think it was worth every penny, given u can afford it. Taught me a lot. By far the best thing i have done for me.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    YES THE PERSONAL TRAINER IS WORTH IT!!!! I didn't think I would need one...or even want one. The price TOTALLY put me off. But...I tried it and was TOTALLY happy. Was amazed with the things that he came up with for alternatives for me. And things that I have NEVER thought of.

I have had a few sessions, and EVERY TIME he comes up with something different!!

Yes, it is pricey. Ask if there is a way that maybe you can watch. Or a reduced trial day. But the trainer can LOOK at you and see what you are doing...help if you are moving too quickly (example--working bicepts, bring the weight up and SLOWLY let the weight back down. Or even the position of your hands. Like, when the weight is down, the palm of your hand faces the leg. When you bring the weight up, the palm turns so that it is facing up.)

Plus (at least with me) going by myself, it is easy to quit. But the trainer somehow (I don't know how) knows that you really CAN do more.

I don't know how to explain it, but YES, having a trainer is pricey but WORTH IT! Ask some of their students to help you choose which one.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I only see mine once a month and her primary job is to help me develop exercise routines that reach my goals. She charges only 50 per session. I know some see her more often but I don't need that much one on one.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Mine is, absolutely. I pay him more than i pay on my mortgage every month. LOL I pay $55 an hour and see him 8 hours a week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on your goals and it depends on the trainer. There are few trainers I've met at my gym that would be worth it but there are a couple on these boards, Ninerbuff and TrainingwithTonya, to name a couple, that would be more than worth it!
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    All the information you need can be found if you put in the time to research it. If your discipline is truly awful then it may be worth it just for the support and encouragement, but then again thats the sort of thing you can get from MFP + a gym buddy
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer years ago and I did have great results. It was much less money then. I would say go for it if you are new to exercising and you need the foundation. I still apply a lot of what I learned even though it was almost ten years ago. If you have been working out for years and you need the motivation, then I'd say maybe. That is a lot of money to spend just for motivation, you might be better off finding that with a friend or a workout buddy or even one of those outdoor bootcamps. If you do go with a trainer, do your homework. Not all trainers are created equally and for that kind of money you want someone who will get you results and move you forward. Good Luck
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All the information you need can be found if you put in the time to research it. If your discipline is truly awful then it may be worth it just for the support and encouragement, but then again thats the sort of thing you can get from MFP + a gym buddy

No disrespect but I don't agree with you. Many (not all) trainers are well educated and trained. They know things it would take you years to learn. That's what it took them!
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try kicking your own *kitten* first - I would only invest in the money if you can't keep up a regular workout or you feel you're injuring yourself. Find a gym that has plenty of fun classes to choose from and you'll find you'll get to know the regulars pretty quick and you'll have automatic gym buddies who notice when you're not there ;-)

I've tried a couple personal trainers over the years, but I've never felt they kicked my *kitten* and much as I do myself... I think they target those who are coming from a no-exercise background and I've been a regular gym chick since I start full-time work and started spending 8 hours a day in front of a computer!

If you've never been a regular exerciser, I would see if you can find your own niche before spending so much money. They are worth it, if you have it and if you can't get yourself to do a decent workout without them. But ultimately, unless you're mega rich, that's not a sustainable approach to exercise, and finding a way to incorporate regular exercise into your life, for the rest of your life, should be the ultimate goal!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    As a former trainer, I can say with full confidence that 99% are worthless... Maybe even more than that. A template like SS will do far more for you than most any trainer can.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

No disrespect but I don't agree with you. Many (not all) trainers are well educated and trained. They know things it would take you years to learn. That's what it took them!
    This is false. vast majority of trainers are not well educated at all. They do know more than the average person, but that is meaningless as knowing a bit more than nothing still isn't saying much.

they don't know things that take people years to learn, they know things that take people hours, if not days to learn on average. Read SS and you'll know more about resistance training than vast majority of trainers for example, as most anything they are taught is still decades old research and far behind the times..

edit: more info if you're considering training

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/u9mwb/im_a_personal_trainer_and_heres_a_few_things_to/
  • citydwellers
    Options
    I paid $150 for 8 sessions in a small group setting. I loved it! I could use the sessions whenever I wanted and I typically went 2 times a week. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep it up and I miss it terribly!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a personal trainer is worth it!!!