300lb - what cals did you eat to lose weight? Confused!

Options
Hi guys, new and confused here. I currently do NO exercise (although I plan to change that but currently 0) and have a sit-down job. I'm 5"4, female 45yrs and 300lbs. I don't know body fat but would imagine very very high.

I'm confused at how many calories to start on. MFP has me starting at 1490 with a BMR of around 2000. I'm hoping to lose a lot of weight by years end for a medical procedure - ideally would be between 50 - 75lbs.

I've been reading the threads on here to get accustomed to how MFP works and I note that many people say DON'T eat below BMR. So that would mean I would need to be eating 2000 cals not 1490??? I just don't know which is correct.

Can someone help please? If you are 'in the know' about how the cals/ BMR thing works I'd love to hear from you and I'd also love to hear if you started around 300 or above and how many cals you ate to lose regularly.

Thanks guys, muchly appreciated!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I started at 310

I eat between 2900 and 3100 calories a day, and have lost 25lbs.

Mike
  • Carissamr
    Carissamr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started at 314 and have tried to keep my calories around 1500 but no less than 1200...I didn't exercise before I started to diet but I changed that...now I ride my bike at least 4 times a week, mow the lawn with a push mower once a week, and go for walks here and there...when I exercise I eat back some of my calories but I try not to eat back more than half...some days are better than others but over all I have done well...As of yesterday I have lost 51 pounds and I have been at it for three months
  • fatkatlady
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metobolic Rate - the amount of calories that your body burns at rest (no movement). So, when they say do not go below your BMR - that is what your body needs to function (basically). As for calorie intake - that is the calorie intake they say that you need to eat in order to lose the weight that you listed as your goal.

So, you can eat up to your BMR but your weight loss would be less than what MFP calculated for you - you would lose weight, just not as fast.

When I lost the 100 lbs - at the time I ate 1500 cals and ALOT OF PROTEIN. Exercised - I started out walking around my block and then further as the weeks waned on. Then I started other types of exercise - at that time, I was just trying to move as much as I could.

I ate alot of protein, but also incorporated a goodly amount of fruit, water, veggies. I controlled my portions and read motivational weight loss articles and fitness magazines. Now, I lift weights and have been able to maintain the weight loss.
    I now eat 2000 cals a day to maintain.

So the less calories you eat, you lose weight..but when you incorporate exercise, you will find that your calorie intake will increase slightly to compensate the calories that you are burning - remember the BMR - your body wants a specific amount of calories in order to function any thing less of what your body wants, it will slow down the weight loss. That is why the theory - the more you eat, the more weight you lose- your metabolism is kicking into gear.

Be patient, eat the best that you can and you will see results.

I started at 310 (5 years ago), I am now 202 and have maintained
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I started at 292 lbs, almost 300, and MP had me set at like 1600 calories then, I too was sedentary. I am 265 right now, I lost that weight in like 4 months. And feeling great =) I added a bit of exercise, but nothing extreme, just some cardio and core work.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ilost weight in the beginning by eating around 1930. I currently eat around 1600.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I started at 303.4. I am 5'6, 30 years old - started on 1/1/11. I am currently at 192. Have plateaued at 1800 calories, recently upped my calories so I'm eating closer to 2000 a day (a little less on rest days - a little more on work out days)..... Looking to lose another 20-30lbs - have lost 111.4 so far.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started at 260 and I would say that I was probably eating about 1600 calories in the beginning too. I'm down to 1300 + some exercise calories now. I did workout from the beginning of my weightloss journey, but nowhere near the level at which I'm working now. I tried to walk and/or do water aerobics at least three times per week. And I did the 30 Day Shred pretty early on as well...
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That seems like a good number to start with. You will lose quite a bit of weight quickly if you stick to it, then it will start to level off. At that point to you add some exercise and eat more calories.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I started, unfortunately well above that and I have lost 100 lbs (almost) in 7 months at 1200. Everyone and their dog will tell you that is not enough and that you will go into starvation mode. You won't and it is plenty. And yes, it is sustainable if you want it to be.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not popular around these parts but I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: the morbidly obese can eat below their BMR.
  • Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Options
    I think that you need to find the level that is right for you. You would be better off netting 1800-2000 and losing steadily, than not being able to keep to the 1490, but experiment, play around and see what works well for you.

In my opinion, there is a level that allows you to lose weight without being too hungry, and exercise amount contributes a lot to this. I can net 1280 which is my current target, quite happily if I go to Body attack or RPM that day, but if I can't make the gym, I can't really do it. I get too hungry.

What I will say, is that 1490 of food, won't seem very much. If you incorporate exercise, even walking you will get more calories and after the initial few days of feeling hungrier, that will help enormously.

Also try to play with your meals, I never eat salad, but I'm quite good with veg. So whereby I would have had a chicken kiev with 5 potatoes and a handful of carrots, I'm now having the kiev, but with 2 potatoes and a heap of carrots, veg and cauliflower. Less cals but more on the plate. I bake the potatoes and carrots in the oven with a tiny bit of oil spray, then use the kiev butter as a sauce, rather than having to add more butter. Just an example, but veg helps!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Not popular around these parts but I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: the morbidly obese can eat below their BMR.

It's true! I started at 260 in Jan I eat 1200 or below and do not eat my exercise calories back, once I'm out of the obese category and just overweight I may modify this but I may just keep it the same until I'm ready to switch to maintenance eating.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Sorry for the long post, but I agree 1000%. As far as I've seen, there is no proven clinical reason why one should not eat below their BMR, especially for inactive obese persons. There is some indication that some of the more active folks with smaller amounts to lose could be hurting themselves by not eating enough, but that does not apply in your case.

Let's just think about this logically for a moment: you said yourself you are completely inactive. BMR is the amount of calories you'd need to STAY WHERE YOU ARE WEIGHT WISE, if you were basically in a coma. So let's assume for a moment you really didn't move at all, didn't eat solid food needing digestion, you were fed via an IV, etc. Is someone still going to claim you should not take in fewer calories than your BMR? You'd never lose an ounce if you did that. The entire point of BMR is homeostasis. (Actually that's the point of TDEE, but more on that in a moment.) Remember, us obese people have LOTS of extra calories packed around our waist just waiting for the time when we don't take in sufficient calories to meet our energy needs. Burning some of those is the entire point of dieting!

So what should you eat? Please just start with what MFP recommends. It will work if you let it. The system calculates something called TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is what you need to maintain your weight just like it is. For those that are inactive, TDEE is calculated as BMR times 1.2. For you this would make it around 2400. If you subtract the 1000 calories a day you're shooting for to drop 2 pounds a week, you get 1400. That number should be fine for you. As least if you find that you can eat 1400 a day and not feel famished! There's certainly nothing wrong with upping that some, but remember, it will slow weight loss. The better plan for most people if they find their diet too restrictive is to add in some additional calories. This can be done while still focusing on the 2 pound per week loss, if you exercise enough to make up for the extra calories. The nice thing is, for us really heavy people, any exercise burns lots of calories. Enough to make the svelte members of the board here VERY jealous!

Best of luck, I have faith in you!
  • mandymayfield
    Options
    I am new here...just joined last Thursday. I've never looked at my BMR until just now. It says 1,660.....I've been keeping mine between 1,400 and 1,600 depending on how much I exercise and earn back. I am not even using the BMR...just trying to stay under my daily allowance of calories.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I started at 301 and was on 1800 calories. I ate at that for about three months then dropped to 1600 calories. That worked well and MFP dropped me to 1490. Crazy ***** alert! I went up to 1600, now eating at 1673. I'm not weight lifting at the momenet, but when I go back (when I drop under 100kg, I'm trying to break a plateau. Still running) I will be upping my calories again.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1930, so I can relate! I told MFP that my lifestyle is the most sedentary possible, because it is, other than when I am at the gym.

I have been eating between 1200 - 1600 calories per day. I do exercise (did while gaining, too) but do not eat those calories. This is the end of my first week, felt about right, and resulted in a good first week weight loss that probably includes some water weight.

I joined on impulse late one night, so logged one day during which I was not watching what I ate. When added up that was 2200 calories so I have no intention of eating 1930 calories.