ARE PERSONAL TRAINERS WORTH THE MONEY$

Options

Replies

• citydwellers
    Options
    All the information you need can be found if you put in the time to research it. If your discipline is truly awful then it may be worth it just for the support and encouragement, but then again thats the sort of thing you can get from MFP + a gym buddy

No disrespect but I don't agree with you. Many (not all) trainers are well educated and trained. They know things it would take you years to learn. That's what it took them!
    This is false. vast majority of trainers are not well educated at all. They do know more than the average person, but that is meaningless as knowing a bit more than nothing still isn't saying much.

they don't know things that take people years to learn, they know things that take people hours, if not days to learn on average. Read SS and you'll know more about resistance training than vast majority of trainers for example, as most anything they are taught is still decades old research and far behind the times..

edit: more info if you're considering training

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/u9mwb/im_a_personal_trainer_and_heres_a_few_things_to/

I suppose there are untrained trainers out there. But mine had her degree in (sorry I forget the word) but it's a study of the body and how it works plus nutrition minor. She was truly amazing. It think the previous poster makes a good point that you need to ask about their training level.
  • MustangSally74
    MustangSally74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My sister is a personal trainer and she does it in her home, so she is not too expensive. Maybe see if there is one that works out of their home instead of going to a gym and using their personal trainer. Just a thought
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would say Yes and No.

First the NO.
    I believe in empowering and disciplining yourself first. There is PLENTY of free on line help to get you onto a fabulous start and that you can access as often and whenever you like to keep yourself on track and motivated. Based on another MFP pal's comments I looked up scoobysworkshop and found an excellent starting point for me there. At the gym I do whatever classes I need and ask the instructor questions if I have any. The gym equipment is very explanatory with its images. My attitude is to have fun first and something is always better than nothing to begin with. Eventually you will naturally progress to your own pace and when you are psychologically ready. I found that when I allow others to 'push' me before I am really ready I seem to rebel on some level. I need to own my own progress and delivery of information via the web helps me pick and choose and take real responsibility and ownership.

Yes! Perhaps. Depends on how satisfied I am with my own results and where else I wish to go with things. However by this stage I would have taught myself commitment and disciple earned a few stripes on my very own, plus I would be coming from a much more learned and aware place to really engage with my instructor so that I get the best value for my money. The baby steps and kindly school training and discipline you should do yourself unless you have heaps of cash to through around...
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    be your own trainer
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I started working out last August and decided right off the bat to get a personal trainer because I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery and have knee issues. I didn't want to hurt myself and wanted to be sure that I was getting a proper workout.

I have 3x week with the trainer. My daughter added in 6 times a month so we put them together and we have 2 1 hour session each week with the same trainer doing supersets and weight training for the most part. I have an extra workout day, but now my husband has also signed up for 3x week with the same trainer. Once he gets to the point where we are lifting the same, then I'm hoping I can add another 1-2 1 hour sessions in.

I love working out with the trainer. He shows me how to lift properly. He works with me to balance the workouts and ensures that I'm not hurting myself. I tend to push through pain and he is the one that stops me and pulls me back. It's fun and very rewarding. If you can afford it, I highly recommend you look at a trainer.. even if it's only 1-2x a month. It keeps you focused.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It depends on your needs.
    I would not, because I know what to do and don't ever go to the gym to workout. I play sports and do calisthenics at home every day. Again, it just depends on what you want and how much help you need.
    And I know plenty of people who love their trainers and work toward stellar results. Others truly need somebody to push them while some need instruction and education.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    No.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have had trainers for over a year - just had my last session this week and am not resigning because I have learned soooo much from them!! I totally think they were worth the money. Pricey - yes. My one personal trainer was $50/session. then I had another trainer for partner training - a kickboxing program - $36 a session. For a while I had them four days a week - for like 6 months.... $700/month PLUS gym membership ($67.95/mo)..... BUT Now I know everything I need to know..... and I've lost over 100lbs.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    I've tried using 3 or 4 over the past 15 years... not one was worth the money. They didn't know anything more than what I already knew and the only thing they did that was any value was spot me - which I can get a friend or my husband to do for me for free.

Total waste of cash.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I suppose there are untrained trainers out there. But mine had her degree in (sorry I forget the word) but it's a study of the body and how it works plus nutrition minor. She was truly amazing. It think the previous poster makes a good point that you need to ask about their training level.

That would be kinesiology. And yes, I would consider that a good indication of a starting place for an educated trainer. But even with that, their programs are decades out of date in terms of training methodology. though I will say when it comes to sports biomechanics they are top notch usually. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

But if you read my link, you see the underlying problem with the industry in general. Training in a gym setting is not about training, it's about sales. I was a dam good trainer and spent years training people for fun for sports and for friends before I decided to make a go at it professionally... But I was a terrible salesman. So I had enough and left after a year. And thats the problem. Trainers are taught to sell training. I was encouraged not to be too good at teaching them, as by doing that they will learn enough to not need me. I mean, there are starter templates out there like SS, WSFSB3, NROLFW, 5/3/1 that are FARRR better than most every template I've seen from any trainer. But what good does it do for a trainers pocketbook handing a client that template, basically saying here you go, now you don't need me anymore...
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    so i was thinking about getting a personal trainer but its a bit pricey! here in my town its $480/month for one on one training sessions 3 times a week. and $180/month for a group training session with about 5 pple in it. 3 times a week. is this expensive? would u consider it? or waste of money?

if you don't read and learn on your own than hire the trainer, I spent $$$$ on trainers, with little or zero results (my fault though), went to one of those fat clinics and they charged by the pound it came to $1400.00 plus all there stupid nutrition junk food, I did not sign with them, felt like it was a used car lot. than i found MFP and finally learned what needs to be done to stay fit, thin and healthy, its a choice, a mind set, for me, nothing else would have worked as well as MFP. side note the group training is fun, did a boot camp for 16 weeks, met some great people.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. My husband and I are on a package deal where we both see the trainer once a month for $45. We've both worked out (lifted, cardio, that stuff) in the past and with out boring you, we do technically know what the heck we're doing. And I also read a lot of workout stuff so I know what to throw in.

However, it is nice to have someone push us and remind us why we're in the gym. He changes it up every time so we aren't bored. He's also busted my *kitten* on poor form more than once so that alone is wonderful! (Seriously, squats aren't so bad now that I keep my darned head up and quit using my back!)

Really, it's what you are comfortable with. Research and make sure you're getting someone who is certified and keeps up their training education as well. LOL if you're in Omaha or Lincoln, I can recommend ya a few good ones. :D
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Can you buy a session or two to just try it out before committing to longer term/more $$? I'd spring for a trainer if the gym near me wasn't so dirty and gross.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    you should check out your local rec center. They are a lot cheaper and they have the same qualifications as someone at the gym. I take 2 classes at my local rec. Boot camp on Mon, Wed and a toning class on Tues, Thurs. There are only 8 people in our class, so it is almost like having a personal trainer. Its $50 for both classes for 6 weeks. Check it out!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer and he is well worth the money. For form instruction and correction and for confidence (to lift heavier or to row/ride faster than I think I can).

The point on form is a big one for me - correct form adds effectiveness and prevents injury.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am 66 years old and have never exercised at a gym in my life before other than treadmill, so yes, my personal one on one expensive trainer is well worth the bux to me. He has done it professionally for 15 years and he is very knowledgeable about the training, the nutrition you need while you are training, and how to stretch properly so that much soreness is avoided. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I would say you need to thoughly check out who you want to use tho, and talk to people he has worked with. I asked him this very morning about how much schooling etc. personal trainers need and he said for $70 and a little bit of time on the computer, he could even get me a certification. Not THAT would NOT be worth the bucks at all. Do your homework before you sign up for more than one session for sure.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

That would be kinesiology. And yes, I would consider that a good indication of a starting place for an educated trainer. But even with that, their programs are decades out of date in terms of training methodology. though I will say when it comes to sports biomechanics they are top notch usually. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

But if you read my link, you see the underlying problem with the industry in general. Training in a gym setting is not about training, it's about sales. I was a dam good trainer and spent years training people for fun for sports and for friends before I decided to make a go at it professionally... But I was a terrible salesman. So I had enough and left after a year. And thats the problem. Trainers are taught to sell training. I was encouraged not to be too good at teaching them, as by doing that they will learn enough to not need me. I mean, there are starter templates out there like SS, WSFSB3, NROLFW, 5/3/1 that are FARRR better than most every template I've seen from any trainer. But what good does it do for a trainers pocketbook handing a client that template, basically saying here you go, now you don't need me anymore...

I agree that the typical heatlh club model is a poor one and that may not be the best place to find a quality trainer. From what I've read, you consider yourself a fairly knowledgeable guy and felt that you were a very effective trainer and well studied. Did I misunderstand?

So then, how can my statement be false that "some trainers" are very effective and some took years to learn what they know?Would that not be the case with you? I totally agree that there are many ineffective trainers who lack knowledge. There are also some who were like you. Knowledable and effective. "Top notch" as you said.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Getting a personal trainer is definitely worth the investment. You get a motivating trainer that will help you get on track and really meet your personal fitness goals. I have a trainer that I see twice a week and I have really seen some results from doing that. Having a trainer also takes the accountability piece up another notch because you'll have another eye looking at your exercise and eating.

I'd say pairing up a trainer with MFP is a winning combination...
  • sxysantos
    sxysantos Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    be your own trainer
    I agree! There is so much information on workouts everywhere now that are free that you can follow on your own. It is hard to find a GOOD trainer. Most of them don't know what they are doing.
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should see a personal trainer to help you with your form. I used one for that reason.. Some people need the motivation of a trainer. If they are paying for it, they will show up. Group session are cheaper and sometimes they can be more fun. As misery sometimes enjoys company!