Has anyone gained back a lot of weight after one week?

Options
Hi all,

I am baffled.

I left for a road trip weighing in at 57kg (after losing 4 kg in 2.5 months). During the trip I hated the food (didn't eat much) and exercised daily (circuit training) for 45 minutes per session. On our way back, I did binge on packet of crisps just because I was so hungry. But horror of all horrors, I weighed myself and I gained 3 kg!! I initially thought it was water weight but it's been 4 days and it still hasn't gone away!

I look the same as before and I'm trying not to care about what the weighing scale says but it's very disillusioning to see all the hard work wiped off in one week.

Anyone been through this before?

Replies

• RollerDevil
    Options
    Are you close to... you know... "those days"?
  • RollerDevil
    Options
    Eating a bag of crisps isn't a binge. And it's mathematically impossible to gain 4 kg (around 32000 calories) with a bag of crisps.

Unless, of course, you ate a bag of crisps that was the size of a cow. :smile:
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yes! Although I haven't re-weighed this week to confirm... I was around 154 when I left for a week-long vacation with my boyfriend, and I was 159 after 5 days! However, I didn't really watch what I ate... lots of s'mores, red wine, and home-cooked food :ohwell: BUT, I can't really imagine having eaten enough extra calories to equal a 5lb gain - that's 16,000 extra calories!!

Hopefully it will have gone down this week...

In your case, though, hopefully it was just water weight... maybe get back on track and re-weigh after a week? Don't stress about it, I don't think that one week can undo that much hard work!!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That happens to me around my period.
  • mydaily10000
    Options
    I'm close ... about 12 days before it's supposed to wreak its monthly havoc. Can PMS actually make you "gain weight"???? Woweee ... But on this topic, I have to say regular exercise has killed the terrible cramps so if this were true, I'd rather gain the weight than have the cramps.

So yes, I'm working my butt off and getting back on proper eating.

Thanks all! So happy I'm not alone.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Usually people on crash diets experience this.
    It's actually very common.
    Just make sure you're following the MFP recommendations for calories.
    And give it time.
  • RollerDevil
    Options
    Some women retain a lot of water when they're near their period, but you'll lose it again once it's over. :)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It might mostly be water weight since chips of any sort contain a lot of salt. Just drink a lot of green tea and water and you'll recover within a week or two.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    the scale is a crude instrument
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My sister gains weight around her time of ovulation and since you're 12 days from you're period you could be ovulating and it's causing problems.