Asthma and running

Options
5Btieden
5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
I am getting very frustrated with my level of fitness. I had started C25K in the winter and was doing well. I was running in an indoor school gym. When it started warming up, I hit the streets :) I did ok for a while and even made it up to week 4 (although just barely). Then I started wheezing. I have always had asthma symptoms but never had a problem because I didn't do ANY physical activity. All of a sudden, I just couldn't run the distances anymore. I am lucky now if I can run one block without wheezing badly. And I REALLY want to run. I have Googled and searched this site and have learned to use the albuterol inhaler 20 minutes before I start, and to breathe through my nose. But those things don't get me any farther in distance :( I have lost almost 40 pounds and thought by now the asthma would be letting up a little but no luck :( Do you have any helpful advice for me to continue incorporating running into my routine? I would really love to run a 5K one day! Thanks for your help!

Replies

• pippsqwk
    pippsqwk Posts: 1
    Options
    Good Morning,

Do you have allergies? Maybe you should consult your doctor because they have meds that are geared towards that-I think one is singular(spelling?) but it works with asthma. I have exercise induced asthma but it usually does not act up unless I push and run hard and as long as i take my allergy meds. Keep at-you could also look at Jeff Galloway's info-he has a run walk program, I do his workouts as I am just coming off of a knee injury.

Good Luck, Wendy
  • 5Btieden
    Options
    Thanks Wendy! I will look it up! I would really like to continue with the running :)
  • suleone
    suleone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pipp is right. Singulair is a good asthma medication.
    And yes, I have exercise-induced asthma as well as allergic asthma. The whole 20 minutes thing is true.
    The only problem with Singulair is that after a couple years, your brain starts to be more sensitive to its psychotropic effects. (All anti-histamines have some effect because they cross the blood-brain barrier.)
    A doctor I saw at an urgent care for my tremors mentioned that taking a daily dose of Magnesium might also help my asthma because the lungs are controlled by muscles, too. So you may want to try that. (And you'll be very...regular! LOL)
  • 5Btieden
    Options
    It is so frustrating to me! I guess I will have to suck it up and go to the doctor if I really want to persue running. I guess until then I will have to just throw small runs in when I can.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    you will have to watch the pollen/mold count when you run
    I have exercise induced asthma and do much better when i run on days that are not very pollinated...HA or when there are no campfires/leaves burning....
    I do use my rescue inhaler 20 minutes before my run, but I am also on a daily inhaler 2x a day to help as well. there are days that I don't feel like I need to take it, but I still do because you just never know when your bronchiole are inflamed and will cause a flare up

i would def talk to your family physician you might have specific allergies that you could get allergy shots for that would decrease your sensitivity to having symptoms and help you achieve your 5k goal.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor and get an asthma management plan for you if this is your issue. I have been through this and know what it feels like to want to push further but can't because you cant get enough oxygen.

Quick side-story, I had severe asthma as a kid (had to be on a portable ventilator machine 3-4 times daily) and couldn't ever exercise much. As I grew older it did subside a bit, and for the last few years I have only had any symptoms at all in spring when the pollen count increases.

To manage this I had an everyday (preventer) inhaler, and one for more immediate relief in case of an attack. Over time as I pushed myself a little further, first with swimming, then jogging and other activity, my symptoms would gradually decrease. It is at the point now where I can run 10 miles without feeling any adverse effects - if my knees let me :tongue: .

It is incredibly frustrating and difficult to work through in the beginning, I remember that vividly. It can be fought into submission though - to the point that I have the VO2 max of a 21 yr old and can nearly blow the back end off a peak flow meter. :bigsmile:
  • 5Btieden
    Options
    Woot! I love hearing about the possibilities!! Yes, it is very hard to push through right now. I guess I will have to suck it up and pay for another doctors visit. It would be worth it for me to be able to continue the activities I love to do....and push ahead with the 5K dream :) Thanks for your stories and advice!