Love Handles

Options
So what is the best way to get rid of love handles/lower back fat? I have heard cardio is one way...what has worked for you??

Replies

• theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Not eating carbs.

You can't out exercise a diet that makes you retain water. Carbohydrates and salt often cause this.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • beteblanche
    beteblanche Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • focusonmyself
    Options
    for exercise you can do what is called supermans, as well as v-twists that works that obliques and another is get into situp position on the floor but instead of crossing your arms or such you will reach to the sides and touch the outer edge of your foot, by doing this you are working the same abdominal areas that your concerned with and tightening your abs at the same time. If your unsure what some of the exercises are, they can be found on you tube. Supermans help your lower back if you don't have any equipment or belong to a gym :)
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce fat darling
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Not eating carbs.

You can't out exercise a diet that makes you retain water. Carbohydrates and salt often cause this.

Agreed. I cut out a lot of belly and back fat (about 3" in a month) by reducing carbs, sodium, and sugar.

I did lose inches in other places, about 1-2' in other areas but not as dramatic as belly. Maybe it's because I had the most to lose there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eating below your TDEE + whatever exercise you want.

i barely do any direct core work and i've lost mine (unless you consider squats, deadlifts and other weight lifting stuff core work). it also helps that midsection is the first place my body takes stored fat from.

keep in mind that the rate you lose in certain areas will depend on your genes and your body type. the general rule is the first place you notice weight gain is going to be the last place you notice weight loss
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

This.

yep
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Not eating carbs.

This is incorrect information. You can release all the water retention in the world, but if you still have a high bodyfat% then your back will still be fat.

OP- You need to eat a calorie deficit under TDEE to lose fat.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well water will not make you gain fat it's just water.

But I found that reducing carbs (specifically refined carbs like pasta) and sugar greatly helped me with fat loss.

I was also eating a caloric deficit.
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    Hope this helps..... this was 2 months difference for me. You can't "spot reduce" but this is definitely the area I have seen the most change, about 3 inches. I do cardio and strength training at least 5 times a week. Angled hyperextension bench with weights have helped, also abdominal twist with a medicine ball, bicycle crunches, planks and side planks. Not at goal yet, but seeing a change like this helps to keep me motivated =) good luck!

marchmay2.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not eating carbs.

Water =/= fat

OP: just continue reducing body fat overall by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • beteblanche
    beteblanche Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thats impressive thanks for the inspiration!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat, but you can tighten up different muscles. It's usually a matter of losing enough weight PLUS tightening up the supporting muscles.
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    Oh, and I would like to add that I eat carbs. Always less than mfp goal, but don't eliminate them by any means. You need the energy for your workouts.