Exercise aches & pains...

Options
Phaedra2014
Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
I'm new here and new to the fitness endeavor. It's been a very long time since I worked out so I'm starting slow. For now, walking a little bit to ease my way in is good enough.

Did/do any of you have conditions that cause muscle or joint pain? I don't mean the "normal" soreness that accompanies working out but conditions like arthritis, fibromyalgia, pain due to car accidents etc.

If so:

1. How do you work out?

2. What work out do you follow?

3. Did any of these aches and pains disappear as the weight fell off?

4. Do you have medical restrictions?

I've been reading through success stories and accomplishments. A lot of members do some heavy duty working out and have lost more than 100 pounds. Kudos! Was it difficult to work out when you first started in terms of physical issues?

Replies

• plumber1957
    Options
    I have the same issue, bad back, knees, elbows and poor lung capacity, so I'm looking for something besides walking, that doesn't put alot of pressure on the joints.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wonder if swimming, or easy water aerobics might be a good choice if you tend to have joint pains when doing exercises such as walking? Many folks with arthritis swear by water aerobics to help them stay mobile and fit. It might be worth a try, if you have a facility near you.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't have any of the conditions that you mentioned, but I was pretty huge :( My goal is to try to avoid the joint/back issues that my mom has, partly due to a sedentary lifestyle and and partly due to arthritis that was complicated by that lack of activity.

Try water aerobics, or even just walking in the water. It is not as hard on your joints and I think it actually feels good to move through the water. For me, it had the added benefit of not feeling so sweaty. If you are like me, the idea of getting into a swimsuit in public was scary, but I soon got over that - I just had to!

Good luck on your journey!

P.S. I now wear that sweaty workout clothes as a badge of honor :)
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis.

I started working out over a year ago as recommended to deal with back pain.

I started with swimming, aqua/water aerobics, water jogging, and pilates. It helped a lot with back pain and strengthening my core. When I first started I wasn't able to do things such as running because it caused a great deal of pain. Now I can run without any pain :)

It takes time. It took a few months before I was able to do anything else that wasn't pilates or water base. Just be patient and take it slow. I was so keen to get into other things too quickly that my back wouldn't allow me to do. Do less than your capable of and slowly build up to it.

If you want to do a safe high cardio workout then look into cycle classes. Safe way to burn heaps of calories.
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    You may also want to give yoga a try. Its not a cardio workout, but it aids in building strength in your core and developing balance and flexibility all of which will make other workouts safer and more effective.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. The dietary changes are the easy part for me. It's not being able to work out at the levels I used to be able to(or lower levels) that caused my weight change :(