whole eggs or only egg whites ?

Options
I want to make scramble eggs tomorrow for breakfast and i dont know if i should make it out of the whole egg or only the egg whites? which is more healthier ?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    A whole egg is only 70 calories, and they are fantastic nutritional value. Without the yolk you are missing half the protein, most of the fat (which your body needs to run properly. Fat will not make you fat) and all of the iron and folate. I know some people use half whole eggs and half whites, but i strongly prefer whole eggs.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I go for the whole egg. The protein/fat combo keeps me much more satisfied than just egg whites.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    I used to make my turkey omlettes with 1 egg & 1 egg white but have been working out more than usual this week so upped it to 2 whole eggs & I had to have a giggle when eating it cuz all i could think was "ohhhh its so much fluffier" lol. I really enjoyed it so I'd say got for 2 whole eggs, I will be from now on!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I take turns. Sometimes I do the whole egg, sometimes I don't. I love the taste either way tho!
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast but I do make scrambled eggs a lot later on in the day and I just use the egg whites that are in a carton. Every now and then I'll throw in a whole egg with it but for me personally I like to get my fats from other sources.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Whole egg. You take out too mush of the good stuff without the yoke just to save about 45 calories per egg- not worth it. Not to mention it takes a lot more egg white to keep you full so you'll be spending more money if you do egg white only
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the GOOD part. Hell, I'll throw away the whites and eat just the yolks!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    whole eggs here...
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I prefer the yolk only.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    if you have whole eggs use them.... i don't like to waste ( maybe thats why my waist is so big) :-D

i buy egg whites in the carton and also buy whole eggs.

On heavy workout days I do 3 egg white and toss in a whole egg. Other days I just do egg whites.

I've found that whole eggs give me the burps! egg whites do me just fine!
  • BABBALOOSKYY
    BABBALOOSKYY Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okayy, since i dont eat eggs often i will make the whole egg (:
    thanks guys
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I used to be a whole egg kind of girl but I tried egg whites scrambled with onion, peppers and mushrooms. YUM! WIth less cholesterol and calories, I'm an egg white girl now.
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    egg whites whole eggs are extremely high cholesterol so unless you like high bp and etc i would choose whites
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    whole egg~ so much more yum, and very nutritious and reasonably low cal.
  • star_slit
    star_slit Posts: 21
    Options
    One egg alone has almost the entire daily recommended amount of cholesterol. So I always do one whole egg (70 calories ea.) and 3 egg whites (17 calories ea.). It's as filling and tasty to me as eating 2-3 eggs because it still packs plenty of protein, but less calories and less cholesterol. It all depends on what nutrients you're watching.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do 3 whole eggs, 2 slices of Ham and 1/4 cup shredded cheese, Honey and a little bit of splenda. Total calories: 390 and I eat it every day for lunch. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have a digestive disorder which makes it hard for my liver to process a lot of fat at one time. I have to spread my fats out in small doses throughout the day or I end up very sick. Therefore, I usually just have egg whites or (if I'm feeling lucky) I'll have a single whole egg and one or two extra egg whites to beef it up. Both parts of the egg are nutritious. If I didn't have funky health issues I'd eat both. :drinker:

ETA: My doctor doesn't want me consuming a lot of cholesterol either (that liver thing again) so on days when I eat a whole egg I have to limit my intake of other animal products.
  • BABBALOOSKYY
    BABBALOOSKYY Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    im also gonna try only egg whites on saturday :)
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'll take 3 eggs over easy please :) Eat it whole if that's what you like. If you are not eating eggs regularly or other things with high cholesterol every day, then I wouldn't think that the long term effects of high cholesterol would really be an issue. Count the cals and go on :)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall reading an article recently that suggested that eggs are not as bad as they used to think they are. The recommendation was for no more than 7 whole eggs a week to help limit the amount of cholesterol you consume. So if you don't eat eggs often, enjoy the whole egg.
    Mike