Calories for frying my morning eggs

Options
So, tomorrow is my workout day - generally when I lift on a day, before I go (I lift in the AM) I make me about 3-5 eggs - whole. Yes a lot of calories lol. Now that I am trying to loose weight I guess that isn't very healthy and also has a lot of calories. My question though is that should I do only egg whites, also being poor, I often fry my eggs in either butter or vegetable oil. How many more calories would i add to my eggs a piece for that. Also, how many eggs should I be eating? lol. I usually do not eat lunch so breakfast and dinner is when I eat with a snack between.

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you have a non stick pan you can cook them without oil entirely.
  • wwef9112
    wwef9112 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you have a non stick pan you can cook them without oil entirely.

I am always scared of scratching it lol. Can I use a metal spatula? Does that scratch them? I'm gunna do as you said, but I have the spatula question now lol.
  • DanTheMan827
    DanTheMan827 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A metal spatula will scratch the non-stick coating off of the frying pan, it is best to use a nylon spatula.

Also, if your pan is older and items are sticking in some spots and not on others it is probably time to get a new frying pan as the non-stick coating is missing on those spots.

Here is some information about non-stick cookware.

Unless otherwise indicated, avoid using metal spatulas and utensils which may damage the coating when cooking with a nonstick pan. Use silicone or plastic utensils.

Clean the pans in the sink using mild detergent and a sponge or plastic scrubber. Do not use Brillo pads, steel wool, or metal scrubbers on nonstick surfaces. Generally, nonstick cookware should not be put in the dishwasher.

Don't use nonstick pans if you don't need to. Reserve your nonstick for eggs, vegetables, and other foods that stick easily to pans. You don't need a nonstick pan to boil water for pasta. Use a stainless steel pot on high heat to boil water—you can add a little oil to the water to keep pasta from sticking to the bottom or sides, if you need to.

Don't overheat your nonstick pans. I can't stress this enough. When using a nonstick pan, cook on low or medium heat. Also, do not leave your pans unattended, especially when empty. Turn off the heat as soon as you are done cooking.

When the nonstick surface appears scratched or pitted, it is time to get a new pan. We have had to replace the skillet that we use regularly because it began to pit after a few years of consistent use. Remember, nothing lasts forever. Flaking occurs after the nonstick coating reaches a later stage of deterioration. While flakes of Teflon are inert and not poisonous, we shouldn't be eating them. Get rid of pans when the surface starts to pit or peel.

If oils or fats are smoking, then the pan is too hot. Never preheat your pans on high heat. High heat is unnecessary for typical cooking. My wife and I have learned to cook at low temperatures and have been very successful at creating delicious, healthy meals. Many people think more heat is better or faster, but newer pans conduct heat well and are actually designed to cook evenly and efficiently at lower heat. Give low heat cooking a try.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't scratch mine. You have to really shove the spatula to scratch them. But if you are worried a plastic spatula will do the job.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole egg. They are very nutritious and good for you. 3-5 really isn't that much either, especially for a guy. Continue to enjoy, though maybe cut out the oil/butter if the calories are getting too high. Depending on size, 3-5 eggs are what, 210-450 calories (large or jumbo?)
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use cooking spray and no oil. And I would definitely say whole eggs you stay full longer and get more protein and other nutrients. Plus you'll fly through cartons of eggs if you only use the whites. No good for a budget. I don't see a problem with 3 to 5 eggs on work out days. Your only talking about 210-350 calories. That's not bad for one of two full meals.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to save on calories I use a cooking spray. You can buy a store brand if you want to save money. As for the eggs, 3 to 5 isn't that bad, but you can buy the little container of egg whites and then make like 2 eggs with the rest egg whites. That way you don't sacrifice taste, but you still get your protein boost, Plus you won't go through a dozen so quickly.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    3 whole eggs is only about 270 calories that isnt that much. i usually have that many for breakfast (sometimes adding ground turkey, spinach, tomatoes) and will have either a side salad or bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries and toast with jam. it definitely keeps me full so even if it does end up adding up to 850 calories (that's the most i've gotten from a egg meal) i'm not hungry again for like 6 hours