I fell off the wagon!

Options
This weekend was tough for me emotionally and of course I did something I shouldn't have...EAT! Well eat unhealthy foods that is. I haven't done that for over a month. I thought I would start fresh this morning and again I failed. I just ate 1/4 of the bread pudding I just made. I am definitely an emotional eater....what can I do get get back on track? Anybody else an emotional eater and what do you do to start on track?

Replies

• MrsSnelly
    MrsSnelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had a rough weekend!! I'm definitely an emotional eater too; acknowledging it is a huge step, I think. It helps to be able to think about why you are eating, and identify the emotions that cause you to eat. I know how easily I fall into the cycle of frustration -> eating -> guilt -> more eating. One thing that helps me, ironically, is to have a little bit of junk food around; if it's here all the time, I'm much less likely to binge when I do have negative emotions. I don't keep lots of it around, because then my kids get into it and I don't want them learning bad habits from me.
    One thing that has helped me a few times when I have a junk food craving, is to go for a run or hop on the elliptical trainer until the craving is gone. It's not easy, and to be honest, when the french fries are calling my name, it takes a good hour or more of sweating through a workout until I realize how icky I would feel if I gave in to that. Being on an exercise high feels so much better than a food coma! The trick is locking those feelings into your brain to call on during the next crisis.
    I'm still fairly new to MFP, and honestly I don't weigh in unless I know I've lost some; I'm pretty frustrated with how slow it's going, to be honest, so falling off the wagon has happened weekly for me. I try to remind myself it's not the end of the world, and tomorrow is a new day "with no mistakes in it." Every day is a fresh start with a clean slate, and we need to learn to forgive ourselves and not dwell on the mistakes; at the end of every day, think of a positive choice you made, even if it takes a few minutes to find one. Celebrate your successes, no matter how small. (And I need to take my own advice!)
    This is something I'm still working on myself, so I'll be checking back to see what other responses you get. Good luck, and hang in there!
  • Princess_q
    Princess_q Posts: 13
    Options
    Awww...Thank you for your kind words. Everything you said is very helpful and encouraging. Now, you need to take your own advise...lol. We should come up with weekly meal plans and hold each other accountable for the food we eat and the amount of exercise we get in daily. I hope others weigh in on this and share their experience and offer their advise.
  • Pilcrow_
    Pilcrow_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Always keep in mind that owning up to it, accepting and moving on is the best possible achievemnt here. Emotional eating can be such a downward spiral, you feel guilty, you eat more, then the damage is done, so you eat more, and you resolve to start afresh tomorrow, but you've beaten yourself so much that you go back to that comfort zone of eating.

You're acknowledging it and looking to move on. Pat yourself on the back. Seriously. Tell yourself you haven't ruined everything, and take pride in the courage and willpower it takes to get back on track. Honestly, this is not a failure, falling down, and more importantly, getting back up, are part of the course for people (myself included) trying to control emotional eating. It's the decision to follow the latter that proves what a success you really are. I promise you that one weekend will not disrupt the scales too much, unless you're stepping on them right away, it will even out as will your resolve, and psychologically you will know that you have the strength to not let these things hold you back.
  • Frock_Tarts32
    Options
    I am there with you!

I emotionally eat all the time, so much so that every loss I have had has quickly followed by a gain of 3kg!!!!

When I am happy, I eat, sad, I eat, angry, I eat......and so on.

I am interested to help and get help so add me if you like.

I would love to be able to talk about this problem open and honestly and find ways to combat the emo eating.

I am going to take your advice MrsSnelly and try exercise instead of bingeing but I can't have snacks around. I find I am that person that only wants it if I can see it.

I hope in the end I can overcome my dam bingeing!!!

I am seriously over it!
  • Princess_q
    Options
    Guys...I've fallen and I can't get up!!! How can I get back on track? Please give me any advise you can. Should I go a day without eating to get my cravings under control?
  • clay1976
    clay1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    just speaking of personal experience that does not help me.The day may start good and after i feel deprived and i end up succumbing to the craving again and saying to myself i will start tomorrow. You want to make sure you get back to the right mindset.You know what works and it will continue to work as long as you tell to yourself that you are doing this for a long run and not a quick fix.Is not how many time you fall of the wagon but what counts is how fast you get up . So get up right now this moment
    you can make up your mind that you will not let what happen to continue to drag you down.Make sure also that you learn from it and move on and next time when happened(and it will, it's OK ) you will handle it much better.This moments don't let them be a stumbling stone but a stepping stone . All the best to you .:smile::happy:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I definitely was. Occasionally, I still am but now I stare at stuff and debate the calories before I go.

I think there are a few things that helped me.

1. I don't buy "snack food" so when I reach the state of wanting to eat because of my mood, anything I want, I have to cook and usually that is enough to make me think about it. It's hard to cook something for a snack.
    2. I have a sweet tooth that needs to be fed daily but it is even stronger when the emotional side hits. I buy skinny cow candy and eat that. 110 cal sooth's the sweet tooth and can get rid of the munchie.
    3. Gum. Keeping my mouth busy is often enough.
    4. Drink more water. It'll fill you up so even if you do eat a little, you'll be too full to eat more.

If you want any more details or questions, feel free to send me a message or friend me!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I definitely was. Occasionally, I still am but now I stare at stuff and debate the calories before I go.

I think there are a few things that helped me.

1. I don't buy "snack food" so when I reach the state of wanting to eat because of my mood, anything I want, I have to cook and usually that is enough to make me think about it. It's hard to cook something for a snack.
    2. I have a sweet tooth that needs to be fed daily but it is even stronger when the emotional side hits. I buy skinny cow candy and eat that. 110 cal sooth's the sweet tooth and can get rid of the munchie.
    3. Gum. Keeping my mouth busy is often enough.
    4. Drink more water. It'll fill you up so even if you do eat a little, you'll be too full to eat more.

If you want any more details or questions, feel free to send me a message or friend me!

I agree 100%. If it aint in the house you can't eat it!
  • Princess_q
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful support! I am officially back on track.
  • Pilcrow_
    Pilcrow_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yuss! You can totally do this!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You're already doing it! You admitted your mistake. Thats a great first step, now, take a deep breath, throw out the bad food, and start again. You didnt fall off, you just lost your balance a little is all.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon right on my head this weekend starting at Joes crabshack.