NSV or just weird?

Options
I'm 40 lbs down, which is good, but I've noticed two things. 1) I am colder now and 2) way more ticklish. Weight loss related or just coincidence?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, that all makes sense. Fat is an insulator, and it can get between skin and some nerve endings. :smile:
  • carpp107
    carpp107 Posts: 99
    Options
    Same here......Lost 85 pounds.....feel cold a lot, Interested to hear what others think.....
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Omgosh... just another reason to lose weight... not the ticklish part though, that sounds awful. but I would LOVE to feel cold.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i feel cold and get ill more quickly when I'm slimmer, but to be honest I always feel cold lol even when I'm chubbier!!
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am colder when I'm smaller also. I've never noticed the ticklish thing though....
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    LOL, more ticklish... I am interested to hear theories on this. I don't know if nerve endings are finite across the skin or not, and therefore become closer together as weight is lost (and skin surface area is thereby reduced).

(LOL, I postulate this because i know that nerve endings in breast tissue are finite, and very similar across all women, meaning that smaller breasts are more sensitive. hey, there's got to be a positive in there somewhere!)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have found regarding 'more ticklish' thus far is that the nerve endings throughout the skin are the same as those in breast tissue (as one would expect), so perhaps they really are clustering closer together. They are also the same nerve ending as in fingertips, which have the greatest ability to determine fine texture due to the high density of nerve endings.

I am currently interested in nerves... one of the dermal nerve branches in my leg was severed during my last surgery, so I have an area almost the size of my hand over which I can feel nothing.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOL, more ticklish... I am interested to hear theories on this. I don't know if nerve endings are finite across the skin or not, and therefore become closer together as weight is lost (and skin surface area is thereby reduced).

(LOL, I postulate this because i know that nerve endings in breast tissue are finite, and very similar across all women, meaning that smaller breasts are more sensitive. hey, there's got to be a positive in there somewhere!)

true, but breast tissue is mostly milk ducts and fat, " ticklishness" can come from skin or muscle, as the layer of fat between skin and muscle shrinks, it's easier to stimulate the nerve endings in the muscle under that fat.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I thought I saw somewhere that feeling cold all the time has something to do with metabolism?
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hands and feet are always cold now. My husband keeps asking me if I'm broken. lol...
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    my legs get really ticklish when the muscles are super tight. That may have happened if you've been working out heaps in an effort to lose weight?
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    yah I get it too,. I am 240 lbs and I sweat ALL THE TIME even in the slightest heat. It can be as low as 15 Celcius (I'M Canadian) and I will sweat like crazy
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do seem to be more sensitive to cold AND better able to tolerate heat, though haven't noticed being more ticklish. Will have to test!

I've also noticed that I need to watch my alcohol intake, since I tend to get tipsy much more quickly than I used to. I'm finally a cheap date!! :drinker:
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The temp. thing definitely makes sense! Body fat acts like an insulator making you warmer, an example being almost any animal that lives in a cold climate (they're usually surrounded by a nice layer of fat to keep the cold out).
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    i feel cold and get ill more quickly when I'm slimmer, but to be honest I always feel cold lol even when I'm chubbier!!

THIS :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!