Fish Oil Suggestions?

3RMomma
3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
So my hubby's triglycerides are high and it was recommended that he start taking some fish oil. Any recommendations for brands?

Replies

• Trader Joe's. Fairly cheap.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    I've been using Neptune krill oil for the last 5 years....for the quality and absorption properties.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    keep them in the freezer or buy the burp free variety. I have no idea why keeping them in the freezer makes them burp free but it works.
  • Nature made is the bst
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Barlean's Omega swirl. Super yummy and is an excellent quality oil. Beware of cheap fish oil, they can be an inferior product.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Get whatever is the best deal. The brand doesn't matter much, the dosage will. Have him take 10g/day.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition's fish oils, they're a little pricey though.
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Here's a place to start: Fish oil brands that passed 2012 quality standards via Consumer Reports: http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/there-something-fishy-about-your-fish-oil-consumer-reports-says-yes
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Get whatever is the best deal. The brand doesn't matter much, the dosage will. Have him take 10g/day.

A doctor told me most of them are rancid. She said bite a pill when you buy a bottle and if it doesn't taste fresh and slightly lemony they're probably bad and you should take them back.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    I got a 55 gallon barrel of the pills from Costco. No after-taste, knees feel better.

For my knees, fish oil has done in 3 weeks what Glucosamine Chondroiten (sp) didn't do in 2 years.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Nature made is the bst

I use the Nature Made that also has Omega 6 and 9.
  • I take 1000mg twice a day, Spring Valley brand.

Also, an excellent tip - put them in the freezer, and they're much less likely to make him nauseated after taking them.
  • My doctor recommended taking 4000 per day. I just bought the Kirkland NATURAL Omega-3 Fish Oil ones. 1000 per dose. Instead of taking them 1 at a time, I just do them all at the same time. I'm soooo bad at remembering to take my other medications anyway. Even the ones I'm supposed to take with food. :tongue:
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Nature made is the bst
    I second this, the brand has USP standards and undergoes routine random screenings
    3-4g is the standard dose, keep in mind fish oil lowers triglycerides, raises HDL slightly, but can increase LDL. Offset this by lowering dietary PUFAs
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    I got a 55 gallon barrel of the pills from Costco. No after-taste, knees feel better.

For my knees, fish oil has done in 3 weeks what Glucosamine Chondroiten (sp) didn't do in 2 years.

This is very interesting to me since I have issues with my knees as well. My hubby takes Nature's Made Fish Oil. 1200 mg with 360mg Omega 3 and he is a Pharmacist so I assume he knows his meds. lol I may start taking it for my knees. I don't have cholesterol issues.