Going "over" on calories still losing weight

Options
WonderCort
WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
I have been on this healthy lifestyle journey for nearly a year and am over half way to my goal weight. 68 lbs lost is not too shabby and I feel like I am starting to really get the hang of this without excessive external monitoring (like calorie counting). I eat relatively healthy foods and exercise. Lately I have been finding myself really hungry. I have gone over on calories for nearly two weeks in a row because I feel like I have really been needing it. When I say "go over calories" I mean between 500 -1000 calories daily. I am losing weight at a fantastic (but healthy) pace. I have not added any extra cardio or exercise to my routine. However, I have been finding that my normal cardio and exercise routines are is significantly easier on my body (example: sustainability and endurance have increased, have to work harder to get my heart rate up, tough jobs getting easier to do). So what's going on? When is this fairy tail going to end and how can I keep this up? Any ideas? This is really messing with me and I fear that I am making a bad decision by increasing my calorie intake like this.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    First off, congratulations! 68 pounds lost in a year is excellent! Your body is stronger, therefore your old routines are now easier, which is also good. If you're still losing weight at a reasonable pace, in spite of the increase in calories, I'd say it's not broke, so don't fix it.
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you Gaia. I hope I can keep it up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are hungry, it may be a response to your body's hard work. Your endurance is up, your exercises are becoming easier as you've become stronger, maybe your body is asking for more fuel as your metabolism has increased?

Check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

There are links there to great resources where you can figure your TDEE, BMR, body fat %, goal weight and daily calories. Sounds like you've been doing great with 68lbs lost - way to go! But I've found that running those numbers as my weight has changed has helped me refine and refocus my goals and adjust to my needs as they change.'

Hope that makes sense - it's late, I'm tired. :tongue:
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    Hopefully your metabolism hasn't been cursed with what I have. I'm having to annihilate my 2500 calorie goal by at least 2000 to see any weight gain (sucks being a hard gainer). However you are trying to shed pounds, so I guess enjoy it now until your reach goal weight.