Race for life!

Options
hi everyone! I was just wondering how many of you out there are doing the Race for life this year?!
I'm doing the 10km one, i'm so nervous! Does anyone have any special training tips/ nutrition tips for the two weeks leading up to the event? i've been in the gym every day, mostly cardio with a couple of resistant machines. Good luck to all participating!

Replies

• angw7
    angw7 Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi there,

Just seen this and realised nobody has replied :( I ran a 5K Race for Life last year and just done on last night! I will also be running the Portsmouth 10K in July.
    I mix 5k Runs, Spinning classes, bootcamp class during the week days and then a long Saturday run (up to 18k). My diet for a few days before the race is usually carbs/protein filled. Eat plenty of energy filled food before an hour or so before the race.
    When is your run?

Good Luck.
    Ang x
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ive done the Race for Life 3 times now - once about 4 years ago, walked it all. Then last year I managed to run about half of it (interval training), then Sunday I did it in Guildford and managed to run IT ALL !!!! Woop woop.

Thrilled with the achievement, so pleased with myself.

I do the weekly Park Runs - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ - these are free timed events (5km), love them. My other half does them - he does the 5km in about 20mins then comes back around to cheer me on (takes me about 38 mins LOL)...

I have soooo caught the running bug - i miss when I cant get out, and have already increased my "3 runs per week" to 4-5 times per week. I am going to have a look at Race for Life site again today to see if I'm not too late to join another one. the event really is great, I get gee-ed up by the crowd and love the energy.

Love to do a 10km one - that's next for me - maybe in the autumn... who knows... I am hoping to build on my distance (now I can do 5km consistently without stopping) and am venturing out 3+ times per week - 15km per week - I'm keen to increase that.

My other half has signed up for the Yateley 10km series - 3 races in July/August - but not sure I'll be ready for 10km just yet.

I don't do any other exercise at the moment, I do a bit of home exercises like squats, press-ups, ab crunches etc.

Angy - you're doing so well at the moment - sooo impressed! :)
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did it for the first time last year..5k...and it was a breeze...My 6 month pregnant Niece and I fast walked it and we did it in an hour,,,
    I'm going to do it again by myself this year and hope to improve my time....
    Are you going to jog it or walk? If walking, I would advise to get directly behind the joggers or you will get stuck with alot of slow walking people in a pack and its more difficult to pass them by..
    Good luck..dunno where you're doing it but last year, St Albans has a great atmosphere....and it was alot of fun, despite the rain!!!:drinker:
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did it for the first time last year..5k...and it was a breeze...My 6 month pregnant Niece and I fast walked it and we did it in an hour,,,
    I'm going to do it again by myself this year and hope to improve my time....
    Are you going to jog it or walk? If walking, I would advise to get directly behind the joggers or you will get stuck with alot of slow walking people in a pack and its more difficult to pass them by..
    Good luck..dunno where you're doing it but last year, St Albans has a great atmosphere....and it was alot of fun, despite the rain!!!:drinker:

I was among the joggers, hoping to run it all (at a slow pace) but rather annoyingly there was a LOT of walkers among the "joggers crowd" (they separate/stagger them for a reason!!!) - it was annoying as they crossed the start line but didn't start to jog, so they clogged everyone up, trying to set off... Grrrr...... :-( I've no quarms with those that tire and slow to a walk, but to set off walking - start WITH the other walkers!!! Rather than ruin it for the joggers!

Mel
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We were way back with the walkers so wasn't me...haha
    Thought I'd get behind the joggers this year,,or in FRONT of the walkers..
    Think its hard to start off jogging anyway..too much of a crush at the start line....
    I could have probably run down the second half..(downhill) but the first hill was abit of a buggar!!!

s
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I did the 5k on the 10th june with my daughter!!didnt run mainly fast walked and jogged !!!ill definatly do it again next year and hopefully jog and run it!!!