Help with calorie goals while strength training (female)

Options
Emagali74
Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
Can someone please advise me about my calorie goal while strength training.

I am doing NROL4W- They calculate 1950 on lifting days and 1700 on non lifting days. My PT was suggesting 2100 every day and a cheat day.

I weighed myself yesterday and hadnt done for 6 weeks on my PT'S instructions and I have gained 7 pounds in 6 weeks !!! I was expecting a small gain because previously I had only been doing cardio but theres no way this is all muscle gain, however I dont physically look or feel like I have gained seven pounds in fat. To confuse matters I was on holiday for 2 weeks of those 6 and didnt eat very well.

I am not unhappy with my weight but I would like to lose three of those seven I have gained. So last week and this week I have been trying to eat around 1500 to cut back a little. But I have been eating low carb (thats how I lost all my weight previously). I have just added in carbs in the morning (oatmeal) because my energy levels were right down. I strength train 3 times a week and run 3 days (about 30 minutes a time).Im jsut finding myself confused on the BMR/TDEE issue.... my BMR is 1319- I know I need to eat more than that. I am thinking though that when I increased to NROL4W recommended numbers then this might explain the weight gain,,,, maybe that increase was too much-I was previously eating 1600 at MFP maintenance level....

Has anyone else struggled with finding the right level of calories for them-I know how important it is not to eat enough especially while strength training but I do not want to be putting on a pound a week either :0/ everyone tells you to hide the scales away but now I am regretting that....does anyone else also weigh weekly?

Why is the maintenance thing so bloody hard?! lol

Any advice/tips would be appreciated x

Replies

• Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to achieve though. Why do you want to lose the 3lbs? Is it because of the number on the scale, or are you trying to drop body fat?
    I haven't lost any weight according to the scale, but have lost body fat and measurements, so (because it's my goal) I'm more focused on my body fat %, not the number on the scale.
    There is a reason for eating at that number and it's so you have enough energy to be able to get the most out of your strength training.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I guess its both, the number on the scale plus I do feel like there is a little fat that wasnt there before from my holiday.

I know you need to eat that amount to get the best out of your training but what about when you want to cut? Surely a calorie deficit is the only way to do this?