Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Options
Week 1 down, no weight loss, in fact slight gain... I did track most days but perhaps totally blew it over the weekend... No one to blame but myself, just needed to gripe! :grumble:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Weekends are always rough, I try to get more exercise in on the weekends so I have more room on those days to be within my calories :smile: Just get back on track, you can do it!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is logging on the weekend, even if I will go over in calories. It helps me keep track of where I'm actually at so at least I don't have to wonder why my weight loss is slower than I'd like
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You might be over extending your weightloss goal. If you only have 7 lbs to go, you should be aiming for 1/2 lb per week.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Just keep punching and let it happen.
    Sometimes it takes weeks to kick in. It's not a race.
    You can do it:flowerforyou:
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    Gripe duly noted.

Carry on.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Gripe all you want we all do from time to time, just don't quit. It can be a slow process but you will find your way. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Replace the words "perhaps totally blew it" with "definitely totally blew it".

If you think you overdid it, you overdid it without question and you can undo 5 days of effort in two without batting an eye.
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    It takes at least two weeks to notice a change in numbers, and longer to notice it physically. Give yourself a chance, a week is hardly anything though good job for getting through the first - always the hardest!

Edit: Probably over-estimating the numbers scale, but you get my meaning. Also, take measurements too. Depending on your workout routine, you could easily be losing inches when the scale doesn't move or even goes up. Just a thought.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My exercise is on target. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon and I crosstrain doing strength training... I exercise 6 days per week. I would actually be happy with a 1/2 pound loss per week... just cannot be happy staying the same or gaining... Possibly could also be from BCP... I was on it previously and gained a lot of weight in one month. I went on another kind for a couple of months so as not to have my TOM for a cruise I was going on. I kind of liked not getting a period and since I had 1 pack of the old ones left I decided to delay TOM 1 more month.. well that backfired... but now I am committed as I have a couple of things coming up that I need to make sure TOM is not here so although I won't be finishing the pack, I have a few more days to go... On the other hand, maybe I just ate like a pig as usual this weekend! I will carry on!!! know it is so much harder with little to lose.
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Give yourself a chance -we all screw up from time to time -(hello fried oreos!) Hang in there it WILL happen
  • pdroot58
    pdroot58 Posts: 3
    Options
    Look into Weight Watchers. The plan is simple. I've lost 35 lbs since Feb. and I have been overweight all my life. At my lowest weight in 30 years
  • thunderchld
    thunderchld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually find week days harder than weekends. Weekends, I am up and about after I work out. Weekdays, I have a desk job. I have a great work out and then sit in front of a computer all day. I'm trying to convert to a standing desk, but it kills me. I've stayed the same this week too. Last night I totally blew it. So today, I am going to try harder.

We can do this!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything either the first week! Don't let the scale bug you - the weight will come off with good nutrition and exercise :)

Are you watching your sodium intake? I try to keep it under 1000 mg a day (super hard! sodium is in everything) and it has significantly reduced fluctuation in my weight. I'm retaining way less water - which makes a huge difference. Sodium can also supposedly slow down your metabolism too - it's worth watching!
  • josiereside
    Options
    I actually have done weight watchers and that is how I lost a majority of my weight but with running, I did not feel I was getting enough fuel with my points to sustain my long runs and other workouts so that is why I thought I would give calorie counting a try. I need to keep myself accountable. I will give it a few more weeks and then I will probably fall back on my old dear friend WW! Weekends are always a struggle for me, always will be. I just somehow need to learn to have some control...
    Thanks all for the encouragement... Like I said, I just needed to vent!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I actually have done weight watchers and that is how I lost a majority of my weight but with running, I did not feel I was getting enough fuel with my points to sustain my long runs and other workouts so that is why I thought I would give calorie counting a try. I need to keep myself accountable. I will give it a few more weeks and then I will probably fall back on my old dear friend WW! Weekends are always a struggle for me, always will be. I just somehow need to learn to have some control...
    Thanks all for the encouragement... Like I said, I just needed to vent!

Unfortunately, you will do the same thing as weight watchers if you over extend your goals (aka, eating too few calories). Are you eating some of your exercise calories back?
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Open your diary to the public and get yourself some friends and you'll feel more accountable.

It's really hard at parties. But fortunately for me, there aren't too many of them. You can eat before you go . . . I know someone who does that. Not my style.

When you get hungry at night, have some herb tea with fake sugar . . . that helps. Somehow willpower got alot easier for me with myfitnesspal.

Ruth
    Week 1 down, no weight loss, in fact slight gain... I did track most days but perhaps totally blew it over the weekend... No one to blame but myself, just needed to gripe! :grumble:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    instead of griping at the computer and then reading this reply, you could have done some jumping jacks and push ups and burned some calories.

stay proactrive not reactive:wink:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our world !

It takes time, no question about that ..... make GOOD food choices & get some "E" ...... and log everything :drinker:
  • josiereside
    Options
    Plan on being proactive with my 4 mile run and yoga today!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't get too down on yourself. Sounds like you are exercising a ton so that is not the problem. Stay within your calorie allotment, feed your muscles plenty of protein, make sure your carbs come mostly from veggies and keep hydrated. The weight will come off.