What can I eat????

Options
I need to drastically eat more calories per day, while keeping carbs very low. I often come in way under calories but just under my carb limit. People are telling me to eat more calories but I need help. I don't like eggs or egg whites and I also don't eat fish. Help please?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat as you. posted about it last night but got no response. interested to see what kind of responses you get.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eat more meats.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hummus and veggies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    nuts like almonds and pistachios are loaded with calories and good healthy fats

a handful of almonds is about 200 calories

dont get any nuts that were roasted in oil...get raw or dry roasted
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Proteins like string cheese, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, etc. I make a dip with a cup of cottage cheese, some shredded carrots, green onion, sometimes green olives, red or yellow pepper and blend it all with my food processor. It is good on tortillas (like a roll up), with veggies, crackers or on top of a salad.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    plain nuts and peanut butter are good sources of healthy calories :o)

I don't really know what to tell you since I have started going all veggie and fruits for the low, I would say anything other than that :o) however, the nuts are excellent and high in calories............I do eat them with my fruit!
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of blogs that post low-carb (and easy-to-make) recipes that you could check out:

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

(okay, so the second is a FB page, not a blog, but they put up recipes or links to recipes all the time)

;-)
  • Lucille51
    Lucille51 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    add in extra veggies and fruits
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    add in extra veggies and fruits

You do realize that veggies are insanely low calorie for volume of food? And fruits are carb heavy.... Nice reply.

Nuts, nut butters, meats. Easy.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're over-eating carbs, then try nuts, peanut butter, MEAT, cheese, and vegetables. And don't worry about carbs from fruit as long as you're getting enough of your fat and protein macronutrients.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, protein shakes, chicken! :flowerforyou:
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    how about a protein shake made with milk and yogurt and some fruit?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's not all about carbs, you have to watch your fats, yes even the healthy fats.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes would be good. You can add to milk or water. More lean meats like chicken or turkey... Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Good luck - you've got this! :happy:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    nuts... nut butters... avocados... add butter to your toast or olive oil to your salads, those pack quite a calorie load.

And on that note- have you been counting things like that? Butter & Olive oil and all those other sneaky additives food can be cooked in? If you haven't been counting those, maybe if you start you'll see that your counts are actually much higher. And if you have, well......... add extra :D
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters? You may need to reassess a low carb diet if you don't like high protein/low carb foods. There are other healthy diets.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    humus, nuts, peanut butter, veggies, meat
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    A quick look through your diary shows that you're eating a decent amount of pre-packaged foods. Stay away from those, since those are typically higher in carbs and sodium and low on nutrition. Don't bread your meats. Eat more vegetables and more lean meats. I'm not going to tell you to cut out your grains, because that's not always the right choice for everyone, but I will tell you to cut back on them and have veggies instead. Grains are so high in carbs. Fruit is good for you, but it's high-carb, so if you're trying to limit carbs you'll want to limit your fruit. Look at the numbers in your diary, and you'll see where the carbs are coming from and where you'll want to make changes.

But at the end of the day, unless your doctor is specifically telling you to limit your carbs, don't stress so much about them. Low-carb isn't for everyone, and extremely low-calorie isn't for ANYONE. Eat your calories, and THEN start making changes to tweak your macros if need be.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The difference in the carbs is are they bad carbs or good carbs.....bad carbs are pasta's, rice, breads, things like that. Good carbs are veggies and fruits. This system won't divy those up so you can increase your carbs with the good stuff and leave the bad stuff out as much as you can. I'm eating less than you and I feel fine. I don't buy into the eat more to weight less group and I don't believe in starvation mode so I don't worry what others think about my calorie intake. When I start feeling crappy or hit a plateau then I'll change it up. So maybe don't worry if your over your carbs as long as it's the good carbs.
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been told by someone who has been low-carbing for three years (following Charles Clark) that you don't need to worry as much about your calorie count when you're eating this way. As long as you feel alright then go by your body.