Flabby arm woes

Options
Hello everyone, this is my first forum post. I'm having a dilemma at the moment and would like some feedback from other like minded people. I have flabby arms.

Most women will know what I'm talking about, I refer to them as my 'chicken wings'. I'm only young so having these makes me feel very isolated in regards to other young girls my age. My other friends don't have arms like mine.

I joined a gym 3 weeks ago and so far I've been 3 times a week (even more, but those were cardio). I have a program set up for my which has 5 different arm workouts. What I'm wondering (pining for actually) is when will I begin to see results in my arms?

I would love, love, love to once in my life have a proper shape to my upper arms and be able to wear tight sleeved tops without wanting to die. Are there any members that share this issue or have overcome it? I'd love some encouragement.

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What exactly are the arm workouts that you are doing?
    You can't forget to work the rest of your body! The more of your muscles that you work, the more muscle you will build and the more fat that you will lose.
    Also cardio is great for fat loss, but without lifting weights most people get that dreaded “skinny fat” look.

I can't tell you when you will see your results because everyone is different, but if you put in the time you will see your body start changing!
  • swearonprada
    swearonprada Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing a few things, 12reps x 3. I'll try to describe them:

Squats
    Leg presses
    Chest press
    Dumb bell lift thingys
    Dumb bell curls
    A press down weight thingy for your arms (Gah! Sorry no idea what the name is)
    Chest pull
    Sit ups

My trainer made this up for me and she's going to switch it up in about 3 more weeks so my body doesn't get used to it.

On the days I don't do these, I do 30-60mins on the treadmill.
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    Have you ever tried boxing or any other punching sport? It is impossible for you to have flabby arms while boxing.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    How many times a week are you doing this routine?

The press down weight thingy is probably tricep pushdown. Does it hit the back of your upper arms?
  • swearonprada
    swearonprada Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do it minimum 3 times a week. Tricep push down is the name, thanks!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    try tricep extensions with a dumbell and pushups and keep at the cardio but not too much so you don't burn up your muscle....it took me about 2 months to really notice a difference in how my arms looked.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried boxing or any other punching sport? It is impossible for you to have flabby arms while boxing.

True!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Mine have toned up nicely, but it has taken 3-4 months. I strength train and use 21s, french press and reverse fly for my arms. I also swim 4 times a week 20+ lengths front crawl.
  • haheisick
    haheisick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Be patient. :) Keep working!

It sounds like you're on the right track. Focus on how much stronger and fitter you FEEL, and before you know it you'll look in the mirror one day and notice those results!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact thing, and I'm only 26 so I know exactly what you mean!
    I have done a lot of arms exercises with weights and all sorts of gadgets and haven't seen much of a difference. But I bought Tracy Anderson's Mat Workout on DVD last month and she has a killer arm routine in it that she says is really good for pulling loose skin back to the muscle. Anyway I wasn't too sure, but I have actually noticed quite a big difference in just one month of doing it. She also has a lot of other DVDs with arm exercises in them, I'm going to buy a few more if I keep getting good results.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    One word... YOGA!

Flabby arms are a terrible problem... especially as we girls get older. I had some arm flaps going until I started doing yoga. I have been doing Vinyassa Yoga three times a week for about a year now, and the flaps are gone.

I am a teacher, and this spring when I wore a sleeveless shirt for the first time, one of my 6th graders exclaimed, "Mrs. E... look at your arms. You have muscles." That was my best NSV ever.

I attribute my lack of arm flaps totally to the yoga!

PS... I'll be 52 in October:-)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    One word... YOGA!

Flabby arms are a terrible problem... especially as we girls get older. I had some arm flaps going until I started doing yoga. I have been doing Vinyassa Yoga three times a week for about a year now, and the flaps are gone.

I am a teacher, and this spring when I wore a sleeveless shirt for the first time, one of my 6th graders exclaimed, "Mrs. E... look at your arms. You have muscles." That was my best NSV ever.

I attribute my lack of arm flaps totally to the yoga!

PS... I'll be 52 in October:-)

Lies! There's no way you'll be 52 in October! You look fantastic.