Help - HRM vs Body Media

Options
Morning!

I have a question. I currently own an Polar FT7 and the Body Media armband. Do I really need the HRM? I am medication and my heart rate never gets out of the fat burning mode. I did try to get it to the fitness level and started to have chest pains and stopped immediately.

Should I just get rid of HRM?

Thanks

Replies

• buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use it to see how many calories I burn. I have a naturally high heart rate (genetic) and my calories burned are different than what it would say on here. I am not sure what the body media does, but I use the HRM to calculate calories burned.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I know people have used both or used one or the other. I think you have to do what works for you. :)

Good Luck.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have both a BodyMedia and a Polar FT4. Since getting the BodyMedia back in early March, I've only used my HRM a couple times. I don't see the point in using both. And... I think my BodyMedia is more accurate anyhow.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have the LINK armband which connects to my iPod touch. It has a work out section that I am able to set for minutes or steps. It tells me total steps, calories burned, moderate activity and virgorous activity minutes. It keeps it in history and teslls you steps and calories burned too. Only thing it does not do is heart rate.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have both a BodyMedia and a Polar FT4. Since getting the BodyMedia back in early March, I've only used my HRM a couple times. I don't see the point in using both. And... I think my BodyMedia is more accurate anyhow.

I only use the bodybugg (older version of the media). I might suggest the HRM for activities the media isn't so accurate like spin/biking. But if you know that your heart rate is not accurate due to medicines then that might not work either.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    My exercises are walking, zumba, and wii fit. No biking or running allowed. :(
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and the BodyMedia Fit Link, and they both show HUGE differences in calories burned doing my exercise.

Yesterday my BodyMedia Fit said I burned 119 for 34 minutes of exercise, while my HRM said 346. I have always relied on my HRM until I got the BMF last week, and never gained weight from eating back my exercise calories, so I assume the HRM is correct. So I'll continue to use my HRM for calorie burn data when exercising, and use the BMF for my overall calorie burn throughout the day (which seems accurate to me, and is 400 calories on average more than MFP says my maintenance level is).
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    SmartAlec- What kind of workout was that yesterday? I had a Bugg and it didn't detect strength training at all.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I only use the bodybugg (older version of the media). I might suggest the HRM for activities the media isn't so accurate like spin/biking. But if you know that your heart rate is not accurate due to medicines then that might not work either.

I only occasionally bike and I never spin. And, I'm not on any medications. You must have me confused with someone else.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    SmartAlec- What kind of workout was that yesterday? I had a Bugg and it didn't detect strength training at all.
    I guess that's why it was so low... I was doing strength training.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Gonna keep both. Was going to sell it for $40 but no one is interested so I will keep it.

Thank you to everyone who responded.