Cheat days... naaa don't need them'

Options
I don't do a cheat day, in fact I really dislike the idea of them. I mean the whole point of my my weight loss journey to begin with was to make an entire healthy lifestyle change and that includes cutting out junk. in my personal opinion I feel cheat days are redundant and feels *wrong* because its going against the whole purpose I started my new way of life I don't feel deprived nor do I feel cheated from anything more like I feel empowered!!. I must not be the only one am I?. this is not a debate this is my personal view if you take cheat days I'm fine by that.. I'm just saying I don't and wonder if anyone else feels the same. Thanks have a great day :) day 171 on my new way of life cheat days free and loving it!!!! :)

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    thats why I just have a cheat meal once a week I think a whole day is pretty extreme but a snack at the end of a hard weeks work isnt going to kill anyone, everything is ok in moderation
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them because life will give you enough opportunities to need them for some occasion or the other.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't consider how I eat cheating in any way, but I think a cheat meal or day is better than eating that way 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. I'm not going to go the rest of my life without pizza or cake, so it doesn't make sense for me to not incorporate those kinds of food into my normal life.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    thats why I just have a cheat meal once a week I think a whole day is pretty extreme but a snack at the end of a hard weeks work isnt going to kill anyone, everything is ok in moderation

Agreed! I have an indulgence or two through out the week...and I always average out at the end of the week, that's what counts. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. It has to be something I can do the rest of my life.
  • nikkimaria
    Options
    I thought cheat meals were to avoid a metabolic plateau? Like increase the horomoe leptin - which decreases hunger.
    When I am on a meal plan I tend to have one cheat day a week. Keeps me sane.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEALS are what I have...not entire cheat days. That's what works for me. :smile:
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEALS are what I have...not entire cheat days. That's what works for me. :smile:

^^^^^^This
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I keep my cheat days to major holidays (easter, christmas, thanksgiving, etc) and my birthday.
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I am only 30 days into my clean eating program, so I'm staying away from the concept of "cheat meals" and "cheat days." I know that I'll eat a bagel, a piece of pizza or a cupcake sometime during the rest of my life but for right now, I choose not to. I want to be more established in my good eating habits and not tempt myself to go on a binge.

That's my story and and I'm sticking to it!
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    i don't do them either, i have my calories at 1700 a day so i can afford to have something a little naughty if i feel like it, with it staying in my calories. If i had a cheat meal or day and have my calories at around 1200-1400 all week i would have such a blow out and ruin everything lol.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is because, as you said, you don't understand it. You may say you don't need them. Great. Maybe others do. Why go on and on about something you don't understand? That's what I don't understand. .
  • valeriedent2
    valeriedent2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I read this on someone's blog on here, and it struck a chord with me, so it's the mentality that I adopted:

"My food choices are personal. I can only cheat on myself."

I make allowances for the foods that I like, such a pizza or an alcoholic beverage, but they're no longer part of my daily diet. I don't do "cheat days", but I don't deprive myself either.

I also give in to cravings on the rare instances that I get them. I've learned it's easier to satisfy it, get it out of my system and move on, then eat myself out of house and home trying to avoid it. Which is what I end up doing, and consuming twice as many calories, fat, carbs, whatever, in the process.
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them because life will give you enough opportunities to need them for some occasion or the other.

Definitely. I don't think I need to plan when I'm going to cheat. I do that when I really want to, when there's a celebration, special occasion or I just want to (which luckily is less than once a week).... If I planned it, I would feel compelled to eat bad food when I probably could have eaten good stuff.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options

^^^^^^This

^^^ this :) my pic is my cheat meal day
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if I log it all and let my mfp's take a look at it. I don't say that I will never eat cake again. Just knowing that my kind and considerate MFPs are going to look at it helps me to keep my indulgenges to a reasonable amount.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    me either...

if I feel like having something out of "my ordinary" I have it...but I don't go overboard or feel like I need to do it every week.

My friend who is a trainer doesn't like the term "cheat" because like you said it brings up all sorts of connotations that it's BAD for you...and one persons cheat is totally different then anothers - she likes to call them "going off road" - meaning you have a clear cut path - with a end goal...occassionally you may go off road - see the scenery for a bit - but you just have to get back on that road...the more time you stop and check out the scenery it just means it will take a bit longer to get to your destination
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" because I don't put myself under rules and restrictions in the first place. I tend to eat what will cause me to lose weight, but I don't subscribe to any plan or program. If I want cake, I eat cake and don't consider it bad or cheating; that's a surefire way to start feeling guilty and bad about myself. It's only cheating if you're telling yourself you're not supposed to do it in the first place.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" because I don't put myself under rules and restrictions in the first place. I tend to eat what will cause me to lose weight, but I don't subscribe to any plan or program. If I want cake, I eat cake and don't consider it bad or cheating; that's a surefire way to start feeling guilty and bad about myself. It's only cheating if you're telling yourself you're not supposed to do it in the first place.

I eats what I eats and that's all that I eats.

Mostly smaller dinosaurs.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This!!!!!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I read this on someone's blog on here, and it struck a chord with me, so it's the mentality that I adopted:

"My food choices are personal. I can only cheat on myself."

I make allowances for the foods that I like, such a pizza or an alcoholic beverage, but they're no longer part of my daily diet. I don't do "cheat days", but I don't deprive myself either.

I also give in to cravings on the rare instances that I get them. I've learned it's easier to satisfy it, get it out of my system and move on, then eat myself out of house and home trying to avoid it. Which is what I end up doing, and consuming twice as many calories, fat, carbs, whatever, in the process.

This, definitely! Also, as someone else said about not putting herself on restriction in the first place. I've got a lot of life left to live and I will not live without ice cream, chocolate, cupcakes, beer...so I make it fit into my day. Sure there will be days I go over, but I can't beat myself up about it or I'm setting myself up for failure.