Struggling & need help

Options
Daz49ers
Daz49ers Posts: 125 Member
Right i see alot of people talking about you should eat the cals that you burn off in the gym but i just cant do it, i eat 3 meals a day and a snacks(mainly fruit or a sandwich) but im only pushing 1000 a day when im meant to go to 2580 a day

am i really doing something wrong here????????

Take the last few days :-

Monday - Goal 2580, Food +1401, Exercise -1507, Net -106
Tuesday - Goal 2580, Food +1715, Exercise -1103, Net +612
Wednesday - Goal 2580, Food +2038, Exercise -681, Net +1357
And today iv already had 2 meals and on a net of -8 after gym

Would be greatful if i could get a bit of advise, am i doing anything wrong??????

Replies

• kais79
    kais79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't do as much activity as you are doing, but my general opinion is do what feels good to you. No one on here can tell you what will work best for you. I've failed at countless diets in the past because I have tried doing what everyone else told me I should be doing. This time is the first time I'm actually succeeding and not suffering the entire time and I feel it's due to doing it my own way and ignoring what others tell me works "best." Rather, I follow the number of calories I can eat based on what the site tells me, so I suppose that is me following suggestion; but other than that, I do what feels right. Just an opinion! :) Good luck!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    No offence mate. but you are over estimating the amount of calories your burning.
  • joeystilley
    Options
    My opinion if you are losing weight like you have been you are doing it right.. i wouldnt change whats working
  • OkImfat
    OkImfat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    3 meals a day isn't cutting it for you. Switch it up. Spread out your calories into 6 meals a day (small ones of course). It will regulate your blood sugar and you will even feel better. Don't go too low on calories either. You need energy to burn the pounds. Dont go too high on carbs. Use friuts on veggies if you are going to take in carbs. Protein, Protein, Protein...if you are working out to the point of a good hard sweat for 30 minutes or more, you will need "repair". Protein does that for you. I'm still working on it all myself, but it seems to get easier after you see the pounds starting to go.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, you are way under the calorie goal on a daily basis and not drinking nearly enough water.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat more

Try adding higher calorie foods like nuts and oils. Maybe a protein shake after a heavy gym session to help your muscles recover. Dont go to the junk food to up your calories just pile that plate high with a decent portion of meat, some healthy non-process carbs like pasta or potato and LOADS of veggies :-)

Feel free to friend me and look at my diary for ideas but I'm only a 5'2" girl and I'm eating almost double what you are and still consistently losing weight each week.

You dont need to starve yourself to lose weight at all.

I might also recomment finding out your BMR, your NET calories should be above your BMR each day. I worked mine out on this website - www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    OK. You are gunna get some nasty replies. Just forewarning you.

I will tell you that I have found a sweet spot at eating 1200 calories. And then when I exercise, I need to make a conscious effort to fill in some calories with food that isn't ice cream and beer.

For example. Last night, I had finished the night, before I had gone for a run, and was short 300 calories or so. I knew that wasn't going to fly, especially if I was then going to run. I pulled out the blender, and had 1/2 a cup of fat free milk, 1/2 a cup of plain fat free yogurt, a banana, natural peanut butter, and some unsweetened coca powder. The result- a HEALTHY 300 calories.

I would suggest scheduling snacks. Even if you don't "think" you're hungry. String cheese, oranges, carrots and hummus, yogurt with some berries. 10:30 and 3:30 seem to be good times for me. Maybe after dinner, have some fat free frozen yogurt for a dessert.

My personal opinion is you should eat back at least 1/2 the workout calories. Does that mean I do it every day? No. But you earned those calories, and MFP is running under the assumption you are going to eat them back. Cut yourself a little slack.

On a different note, and I know NOTHING about you, but you might want to check that 2580 is a good number. That seems a bit high to me personally, but I am also a female, so I don't know the ins and out of it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Right i see alot of people talking about you should eat the cals that you burn off in the gym but i just cant do it, i eat 3 meals a day and a snacks(mainly fruit or a sandwich) but im only pushing 1000 a day when im meant to go to 2580 a day

am i really doing something wrong here????????

Take the last few days :-

Monday - Goal 2580, Food +1401, Exercise -1507, Net -106
    Tuesday - Goal 2580, Food +1715, Exercise -1103, Net +612
    Wednesday - Goal 2580, Food +2038, Exercise -681, Net +1357
    And today iv already had 2 meals and on a net of -8 after gym

Would be greatful if i could get a bit of advise, am i doing anything wrong??????
    eat a cheeseburger or two - simple!
    If you continue this self-sabotage, kiss all your results bye bye.
    I forgot how to do some higher math since school, but I did not forget how to eat once I joined MFP.
    Good luck to you!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If it's working I wouldn't change anything either as long as you are not going hungry. I don't always eat back my exercise calories after going to the gym but there are days when I eat over my daily allowance so on an average week it usually balances out.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Your body knows best. Eat when you're hungry and Drink when you're thirsty.

There's no magical system here and following something very strict is great.. if it works for you but seriously as long as you feel good.. you're good.
  • twinsies041
    Options
    are you using a heart rate monitor? It helps to know that you are eating the right amount of calories back.
    with that said you HAVE TO EAT MORE. your net shouldn't ever be lower that 1200 in my opinion. Your body isn't going to keep preforming for you if you aren't giving it enough fuel
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going at it? What are your goals? You really want to keep your body fueled! If you don't want to eat back all your calories try to get some of them back.

almonds and nuts are good for adding calories, add them to your snacks.

It depends on your goals and how you feel. But don't neglect fueling your body
  • jppd47
    Options
    Your body knows best. Eat when you're hungry and Drink when you're thirsty.

There's no magical system here and following something very strict is great.. if it works for you but seriously as long as you feel good.. you're good.

I agree your body knows best.... but thats not always true. For instance, "drink when your thirsty" absolutely you should, but by that point if you very active, your all ready near a point of dehydration. you need to keep the fuel and water going in before its gets to a point where its bad.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat more

Try adding higher calorie foods like nuts and oils. Maybe a protein shake after a heavy gym session to help your muscles recover. Dont go to the junk food to up your calories just pile that plate high with a decent portion of meat, some healthy non-process carbs like pasta or potato and LOADS of veggies :-)

Feel free to friend me and look at my diary for ideas but I'm only a 5'2" girl and I'm eating almost double what you are and still consistently losing weight each week.

You dont need to starve yourself to lose weight at all.

I might also recomment finding out your BMR, your NET calories should be above your BMR each day. I worked mine out on this website - www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

Good luck :flowerforyou:

^^This.
  • Daz49ers
    Options
    No offence mate. but you are over estimating the amount of calories your burning.

I dont see how i am??? i take my results from what the machines in the gym say and put them on here, cant see how im over estimating :/
  • Daz49ers
    Options
    How long have you been going at it? What are your goals? You really want to keep your body fueled! If you don't want to eat back all your calories try to get some of them back.

IV been at it for 6 weeks!!!
    My goal is 16st (started at 22st)

ill try nuts etc never even crossed my mind tbh but i feel good, also sleeping more as from 16 to 25 i lived on 4 hours sleep a night (every night) im having 7/8 hours a night so surely thats good......
  • Daz49ers
    Options

Also im a chef so im around food most of the day and ts tough to eat normally but i am trying
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    do what works for you. Eat when you are hungry; don't eat when your not.
  • jppd47
    Options
    depending on the machine and your body, machines have been known to over estimate. If you can get a heart rate monitor, it will you see what your body is going better then the cardio machine
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    If you arent losing weight, you're body has been going into starvation mode and clinging to the fat from everything you eat. You are eating way too few calories and slowing down your metabolism. Eat more!