What the Heck...so discouraged!

Options
This is the third week of tracking on MFP and so far I've lost 2lbs, which I know isn't much, but it's something. Today I stepped on the scale and I gained it all back in a week?! GRRR what the heck. Just when I thought I was making progress! Great way to start the day.

Replies

• thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ah, I thought I recognized you! AKA we are in the same boat. I have done that too, but thanks to the many people here, you will quickly find a bunch of hands ready to help you back up and back on the right path!

Keep going, don't punish yourself, but reward yourself for trying again! You can do this, but only one step at a time.:wink:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? They are really helpful to keep your portions correct. Sometimes we are eating more then we think.
  • thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? They are really helpful to keep your portions correct. Sometimes we are eating more then we think.

I second that - food scales can be quite friendly most of the time, lol!
  • RoyalsFan24
    RoyalsFan24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is the third week of tracking on MFP and so far I've lost 2lbs, which I know isn't much, but it's something. Today I stepped on the scale and I gained it all back in a week?! GRRR what the heck. Just when I thought I was making progress! Great way to start the day.

Personal question and you don't have to answer but keep in mind; Are you about to start your period? You could just have some water weight. I never weigh myself the week before mine that way I don't get discouraged because I know I gain a bit before it starts.

Just something to keep in mind.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that weight can fluctuate quite a bit depending on sodium intake, liquid consumption, fiber intake, etc. I suggest tracking your weight on a graph and going by a downward trend OVER TIME instead of a couple of days. Then you will really see the progress!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    A few tips that have worked for me.Track honestly every morsel of food.
    Eat your exercise calories.
    Give and take support and encouragement from other members.
    Get up and move.
    No alcoholic, cigarettes or other crutches.
    Get some low calories cookbooks and experiment or get recipes from this site.
    Drink lots of water and limit diet drinks.

Good luck on your journey and add me as a friend if you wish.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    Water, water, and more water...you will start to lose. Just drink water, no soda, diet soda, kool aide. Nothing. Water. It was when I started drinking just water when I started losing weight.
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have found that my weight changes because of sodium....I've gained 6 lbs in a week bc of it...so now I just watch carefully!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    And remember...If you have no scale...Use the all time greatest scales ever..

Protein the size/thickness of your palm
    Carbs/veggies the size of your clenched fist
    Fats the size of your thumbnail.

You won`t go too far wrong

:bigsmile:
  • nlm74
    nlm74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not eating more. I usually use a measuring cup, but I will look into a food scale. I'm set to lose 1lb a week and it's been happening except for this 3rd week. The first 2 weeks I had a back injury, so just sat around for 2 weeks and STILL lost weight. This last week I actually added long hilly walks to the mix and gained?! What the heck?!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Toss out your scale!!!! It is the biggest liar on the planet!!!!! Do you feel better? Do you have more energy? Are your jeans fitting better? Do you feel pride for treating your body better? Focus on these positive things, exercise and eat clean. You are making progress, the scale is the devil on your shoulder telling you you're not! Knock him off!!!!!!
  • nlm74
    nlm74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I only drink water and 2 with milk 2x a day. I've been eating more protein than carbs, more carbs than fat. And always track honestly. Thanks everyone for the support, you guys are AWESOME. I'm feeling a little better already!
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    So on a really weird note in the last five weeks I have noticed if I only sleep for six or less hours I weigh more in the mornings. Sometimes if I go back to bed for another 2-3 more hours then wake up I usually end up about 3-4 pounds less. This has happened at least six times. Also I usually end up about 6-8 pounds heavier at night because of food and water consumed during the day. Dont stress and keep going:)
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Personal question and you don't have to answer but keep in mind; Are you about to start your period? You could just have some water weight. I never weigh myself the week before mine that way I don't get discouraged because I know I gain a bit before it starts.

Just something to keep in mind.

^^THIS I gained 3lbs after the weekend and thought it was bc of indulging a bit over the weekend. I said "eh whatevs" and moved on. Guess what, I forgot that AF was coming to town. And those 3#s went away.
  • flrachael
    flrachael Posts: 7
    Options
    If you're now incorporating exercise, try measuring also. Arms, waist, hips thighs. That way you can see where you're losing. You'll be gaining muscle, and that muscle gain can offset the fat loss. Measuring is a good way to see where exactly your body is changing. And yes, it's discouraging at first, no matter what your body type is, we don't want to see ourselves in numbers. BUT, if you measure once a week you'll see the differences and probably feel a little better about not losing so much.

Good luck!
  • CharliB1
    CharliB1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous statement about retaining water weight before & during your period.. I like to call it Tom (time of the month, feel free to use it!) I've also heard not to weigh yourself too often, as your weight will fluctuate because of water, so its best to do it once every couple of weeks or so. I do it every 2 at least.

A food scale is a great idea as well, I am planning to get one. Whenever you can, measure whatever food you're going to consume- it is tedious and time-consuming sometimes, but its good practice and it really allows you to see what you're putting into your body. I also have a Weight Watchers restaurant guide (thanks to my mom) to assist in healthier choices when going out.

This might not be much, but I hope it helps :) Good luck!

ps: measuring is good too! not just waist and hips, but arms, legs, etc
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I learned a hard lesson with the scale..... I now take measurements to see how I am progressing. I have not lost a single pound over 30 + days of logging food and exercise, but I did loose a total of 7 inches. Of course it isn't instant since measurements should be spaced out 3 to 4 weeks. I do still weigh weekly but try to not judge and get discouraged since inches are coming off.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I am definitely not eating more. I usually use a measuring cup, but I will look into a food scale. I'm set to lose 1lb a week and it's been happening except for this 3rd week. The first 2 weeks I had a back injury, so just sat around for 2 weeks and STILL lost weight. This last week I actually added long hilly walks to the mix and gained?! What the heck?!

It could be water retention due to gaining muscle from all that walking! Give it time, remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint! :happy:
  • MosierTim
    MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that water is a key factor. When I started last year, 64oz (8 cups) of water was sometimes tough for me. Now I usually have 64 oz before 9am! On the weeks I have good calorie intake and burn but don't get my water, I see it reflected on the scale.

Focus on what you can control, which is 1) what you put in your mouth and 2) what you do to burn off what you put in your mouth and you will lose it in no time! Don't let one week deter you from what you have accomplised or what you want to achieve!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you are still eating at a deficit it is water retention. Take your measuremnts regularly and take pictures once a month. The pictures have kept me going when I've been frustrated with the scale and measuring tape. I'm in the food scale camp. This changed my perception on eyeballing food and using measuring cups and spoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You may have to take off the &feature=blahblahblah in the the link.