Question about Exercise and calorie limit

Options
mkoglin
mkoglin Posts: 2 Member
Ok I have been exercising and that adds to the calories I can have for the day. I don't use those extra calories because I want to lose not gain or stay where I am at. So my question is am I supposed to be eating those extra calories? My chart always says I am under my daily calorie limit because I don't. Just not sure if I am doing this right or not. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• jeffsinkw
    jeffsinkw Posts: 16
    Options
    I have the same question. I've been eating back part of my excercise calories but not all. This keeps me from being so hungry before going to bed but I don't know if I'm doing it right or not.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most people eat them back b/c the calorie limit that this site sets for you is already set to where you will lose weight. So, if you don't eat back your exercise calories, you end up being way under what this site says you need to lose weight. Doing this for an extended period of time can potentially be harmful. However, some people still refuse to eat them back.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Would like to know myself... I feel like I am starving if I don't eat them.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Please eat them back.I didn't start losing weight until I started eating my exercise calories. The body needs fuel so feed it!
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 3/4 of my exercise calories. I think MFP over estimates how many calories I burn and I think I tend to underestimate my calories eaten, so this is my happy medium!

5 pounds down so it seems to be working for me!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Assuming your input is correct and your setting are right, MFP keep your deficit the same, so when you add calorie burn through exercise, your daily goal goes up.
    Eat those calories and ENJOY!:drinker:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are SUPPOSE to eat those calories. MFP already has you at a deficit with or without exercise. You will not gain by eating them. You need to fuel your body for results. The goal is to MEET your calories, NOT be under.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I go based on how I feel. If I am hungry I eat them back if not I don't. When I do eat them back I make sure to eat a healthy protein. If you plateau and don't normally eat them back - then I would change it up by eating them back for a few weeks and see what happens. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I did my fitness pal last year and ate all my exercise calories back and didn't lose as much as I am now by not eating them back.

I think if I hit a plateau I will start to eat them back. But not all. Just some.. I'll see how this works for me. Also I've found out that if I eat a really high fat meal every now and then I seem to lose more weight. Anyone know why. By high fat I mean a Five Guys cheeseburger....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why there isn't an explanation for this when you sign up. Nearly everyone asks this.

Yes. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories. MFP sets you at a caloric deficit based on your desired weekly weight loss. When you exercise, you increase this deficit, which can potentially rob your body of the nutrition it needs. eating your exercise calories keeps your deficit at a consistent, healthy level.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I did my fitness pal last year and ate all my exercise calories back and didn't lose as much as I am now by not eating them back.

I think if I hit a plateau I will start to eat them back. But not all. Just some.. I'll see how this works for me. Also I've found out that if I eat a really high fat meal every now and then I seem to lose more weight. Anyone know why. By high fat I mean a Five Guys cheeseburger....

You need to eat fat to burn fat. Just make sure it's healthy fat. Plants fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.) are better than animal fats.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    This was discussed at length in a thread I saw yesterday, very helpful, check it out!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/636086-eating-back-exercise-calories-for-those-who-don-t-get-it?hl=eating+back
  • 123philhunting
    123philhunting Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how you feel.. There are days I need the extra boost or a small cheat so I will use the extra calories... Other days i'm fine on the 1200 to 1500 that I budget myself... I am very rarely hungry anymore and I am an eater!!!!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    ...and yes, you should eat them back. :happy:
  • bm_stclair
    bm_stclair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Others have said it but I'm still going to add my $0.02.
    Thats the beauty of this plan! You get to eat your exercise calories. It's like a reward for working hard. If you dont work hard you dont get that extra treat at the end of the day :-)
    I just hit 40 lbs lost and I always eat my exercise calories back. WHY??? BECAUSE I CAN!!! As long as you keep watching those numbers and you don't go over your net calories then you'll lose weight.
    Also, DO NOT GIVE UP! You are going to plateau. It's a fact and it's discouraging but understand that in simple terms it is just your body reacting to weight loss and trying to keep an equilibrium. Just stick to the plan and try not to focus too much on the scale. My weight loss has taken six months. there were times where I didnt lose anything for almost 2 weeks. But then I'd see 5 lbs fall off the third week.
    Keep at it!
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • mkoglin
    mkoglin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and Information! I have been a member since last year but just actually started using this on a regular basis since I gained back the 40lbs I lost last year. I will try and see what happens as I know everyone has different bodies. I am going to actually finish this and be victorious over my weight!
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can eat back the calories because that's an additional amount of calories you'll be under for the day, BUT I recommend not putting too much faith into the calorie counters on machines or that the site gives. I usually multiply what the calorie counter on machines give by .9 to make it a little more accurate. I think it's dangerous to trust too much what the calorie counters give because they often overestimate the amount of calories burned and then you'll end up eating them all back.
  • vampire_cakes
    vampire_cakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can eat back the calories because that's an additional amount of calories you'll be under for the day, BUT I recommend not putting too much faith into the calorie counters on machines or that the site gives. I usually multiply what the calorie counter on machines give by .9 to make it a little more accurate. I think it's dangerous to trust too much what the calorie counters give because they often overestimate the amount of calories burned and then you'll end up eating them all back.

Truth IDK about the exercise log here i mainly use this just for food so instead i eat 1200 with exercise and i dont eat my calories back i find im losing more that way.
  • meanemma86
    meanemma86 Posts: 68
    Options
    i eat back about 1/2 of my excercise calories as i think mfp's estimates are a quite high.