my healthy lunch was gross :(

Options
Hanni
Hanni Posts: 158 Member
Ok, guys I have to rant.. :grumble:
I have seriously decided to eat healthy now, which is my biggest downfall. I exercise a lot (horse riding, running, squash,...) but ruin it all with pizza and burgers. :embarassed: Eating healthy usually meant heating up a ready meal, obviously not ideal.
So today I spent ages in the kitchen, cooking up steamed veg, brown rice with mushrooms and a fish filet. I hate fish, but i know its good for you so I thought I better get used to it. I was actually looking forward to my super healthy meal but ooooh noooo, it was AWFUL! I mean really, really yuk. :noway:
The veg and the rice was ok, but the fish... :sick: I am pretty sure that is not what it was supposed to be like. :huh:
Why is eating healthy so difficult :grumble: next time I won't even bother with the fish.
I had to write this rant down because otherwise I would have probably grabbed some food instead. Does anyone else have trouble thinking up healthy meals? I have enough recipe books to turn my house into a library but they always are so very complicated and not quick or easy to prepare at all.

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    There's a whole world of delicious, healthy food out there - why would you cook fish if you know you don't like fish?

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.ohsheglows.com
    www.allrecipes.com
    www.epicurious.com
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you don't like fish, don't force yourself to eat it! Try other types of fish you haven't tried before - tilapia and fresh tuna perhaps. But don't feel badly if you just don't like fish. Try some lean chicken next time!

*signed, the person who only eats fish if covered in sufficient breading not to taste actual fish LOL*
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try to modify the food you love maybe with portion size or healthier substitution. If you try to change completely you probably won't stick to it.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    If you don't like fish, don't eat it. You could have replaced it with grilled chicken or lean steak and it's still healthy. Healthy doesn't have to mean gross. You could eat a turkey sandwich and it would be better than pizza.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Try to modify the food you love maybe with portion size or healthier substitution. If you try to change completely you probably won't stick to it.

THIS ^ is exactly how I've done it. Why torture yourself by eating stuff you don't like?
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. If you love pizza, try baking it yourself so you can control the content, pick lighter toppings, make a small pizza so you don't pig out, just eat what you need. I myself am a bit of a picky eater, and there is a big long list of veggies I have a hard time eating, so I just don't eat them, and eat lots of veggies I DO love.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I resolved that most of my meals are just not as fabulous as the bad foods.
    That's just reality.
    I am not going to lie about it. As time goes on though, I am developing more of a taste for what's healthy and sometimes after a trip to McD, my body sort of rejects that food, and I feel bad.
    Progress - not perfection!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Most so-called healthy food and meals look, smell, and taste like crap to me. Experiment and find things you like. Don't force yourself to eat things you can't stand just because they are branded as good for you!
  • twinsies041
    Options
    I would't recommend trying to force yourself to eat stuff like fish if you don't like it. It's good to give it a shot but you don't want to associate eating healthy with foods you don't even like!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cooking is a skill and a talent you have to practice. Don't eat foods you don't like, and try more than once the things you think you do like but didn't turn out the way you wanted.

Preparing foods differently changes the overall experience, so if you don't like fish grilled, try it baked. But if you don't like fish at all, just eat something else :)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We still have pizza and burgers but we've changed it. Like Pizza...we only get thin crust now (cuts out a ton of calories right there) and no more "triple meat" or stuff...we usually get ours from Papa Murpheys and get like the chicken parm delite. Low cal for pizza!

Then we use ground chicken for burgers! Awesome on the grill and we like it better for beef. We use sara lee 45& delightful bread for buns...works well
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options

THIS ^ is exactly how I've done it. Why torture yourself by eating stuff you don't like?

Yes! ^ and ^ to both above comments!! You can try making your own pizza with healthy toppings. Chicken sausage in place of regular, lean hamburg in place of the fatty hamburg, fresh tomatoe sauce, light cheese and wheat dough. But about the fish...I really don't care much for it, but it depends on what you put on it too. There is always chicken, lean beef, turkey burgers, and tons of spices out there that can make anything taste good :) Good luck in your healthy journey!!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There's a whole world of delicious, healthy food out there - why would you cook fish if you know you don't like fish?

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.ohsheglows.com
    www.allrecipes.com
    www.epicurious.com

Exactly - dont' eat things you don't like just because you think it is healthy...

I adore the skinnytaste website...

There is a lot you can do with nice cuts of meat and fresh herbs, veggies and fruits...

I did up some baked meatballs using ground turkey, grated onion, a bunch of herbs (fresh chopped basil, parsley and some dried italian blend), an egg and some Almond meal (you could use bread crumbs - I stay away from breads) - rolled them into balls and baked them at 350 until done (about 20 minutes) - I have used them in some homemade marinara sauce over spagetti squash and just heated them up and eaten them as a snack or part of a meal (and you can easily freeze them too)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Spot on. Don't cut out. Cut down.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Try to make healthier versions of what you already love.

Turkey burgers (and stick to 1 burger with a smaller bun). Add a salad or sweet potato oven baked fries with it...
    Home-made pizza with chicken or turkey pepperoni and light cheese on a whole wheat pita pocket
    I love lasagna - so I now make lasagna rolls with wheat noodles, light cottage cheese, spinach, and ground turkey... mmm!!

Add me or message me, and let me know what your favourite foods are! You'd be surprised how much you can do to lighten them up! ;) The possibilities are endless...

If you are trying to get yourself to like fish, then buy frozen for a few weeks.
    There are some out there now that are very lightly breaded, and under 200 calories for a good sized portion
    I like the herb flavoured white fishes now...

Good Luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, this ^^ is good advice. If you like pizza, try making your own usig a thin whole grain crust, lean (or no) meats and reduced fat cheese. Just alter your recipes to use substitute whole grains for white, lean meats for fatty, vegetable fats for animal and try to reduce the calories.

It is surprisingly easy to do once you get the hang of it.
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

THIS: eat what you love in the right portions and cooked as healthily as possible, we (the whole family) have a tasting day once a week, where we have a minuscule portion of something new, if we like it i will then cook it as a meal the following week, if we don't we bin it and move on.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What type of fish fillet was it? The only kind I really really like is fresh salmon; I put a little EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) in pan then slice up shallots and carmelize them. Wash fish, pat dry and add to pan. Put in a few sprigs of fresh dill (or some dried if needed), few slices of lemon, pour in a little white wine, then cover and steam until done inside. Serve with extra lemon quarters. Quick, delish and easy! (Add your rice and veggies, of course!)
  • ovenbird1977
    Options
    Keep practicing, hun. Cooking is a skill we must learn, not something we are born with. Be patient with yourself. Its ok to not eat something if you hate it.
  • JuleKM
    JuleKM Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are really wanting to try to add fish to your diet, one of my favorite types of fish is Swai. It is a white fish that has a slightly sweet flavor without the fishy taste. (I like this one even better than tilapia.) :smile: