Baked potato confusion ???

Options
Say I had a raw potato that weighed 250 grams and after I cook it, it weighs (for example) 200 grams. What would I put it as in my food diary? 250 or 200 grams of baked potato? :)

Replies

• JeremyM1977
    Options
    Assuming you are eating the cooked final product, then I would log it in as such.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If the MFP entry does not make it clear if the info is cooked or raw weight google the food and find out.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's the before cooked weight. Almost always. You don't weigh things after they are cooked. That doesn't make any sense.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I thought that cooking some foods could change their nutritional values? :) Never mind, I've found the answer and have added it to the food database. Thanks for your answers! :)
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It's the before cooked weight. Almost always. You don't weigh things after they are cooked. That doesn't make any sense.

I do if the nutritional information is for the cooked product (baked/boiled/steamed etc) then I will weigh it before putting it on my plate.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Say I had a raw potato that weighed 250 grams and after I cook it, it weighs (for example) 200 grams. What would I put it as in my food diary? 250 or 200 grams of baked potato? :)
    you need to use the Raw weight, you've cooked it, but all that has happened to the original weight is some of the water as evaporated. So the starch (carbohydrates) is still there, just slightly more concentrated.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    OP, search MFP for "Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, raw" and enter the raw weight if you measure prior to cooking. If you weigh it after cooking, search MFP for "Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, baked" and use that.
    You don't weigh things after they are cooked. That doesn't make any sense.
    Actually, it often does. Just one example is bacon. The weight changes drastically when cooked. It's not hard to see that it leaves behind a pool of calorie-dense fat in the pan after cooking. You can log the raw weight if you like but I wouldn't.. It all depends, as janemem said, on the MFP entry.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    OP, search MFP for "Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, raw" and enter the raw weight if you measure prior to cooking. If you weigh it after cooking, search MFP for "Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, baked" and use that.
    Actually, it often does. Just one example is bacon. The weight changes drastically when cooked. It's not hard to see that it leaves behind a pool of calorie-dense fat in the pan after cooking.

...mmmm......

What? Oh, sorry. I just started having wet bacon thoughts.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Actually, it often does. Just one example is bacon. The weight changes drastically when cooked. It's not hard to see that it leaves behind a pool of calorie-dense fat in the pan after cooking. You can log the raw weight if you like but I wouldn't.. It all depends, as janemem said, on the MFP entry.

LOL, what? ^^^ Unless is specifies nutritional content is "cooked", use the raw content. You think bacon goes from being 50-75 calories per slice to what, exactly when its cooked?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

It's also going to depend on how long it was cooked, how it was cooked, etc. Frying bacon at a high temperature is going to result in more fat left on the bacon, whereas cooking it slowly ensures that more fat is cooked out.
  • swhite1209
    swhite1209 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

why doesnt it make sense u r not eating the raw product. u r eating the cooked one. this stuff is so confusing.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

why doesnt it make sense u r not eating the raw product. u r eating the cooked one. this stuff is so confusing.

It's really not that confusing. For meat, rice, pasta, baked potatoes, steamed vegetables, etc. what changes is the water content, not the nutritional content (for the most part). Unless you're cooking something like eggs, where you usually cook it in a fat, the calorie content doesn't change enough to warrant weighing it after cooking. And, as I pointed out above, sometimes it will depend on your method of cooking. So, it's best to weigh food before cooking it and also log whatever you cook it in (butter, olive oil, etc.)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether the database entry is the cooked or raw value, obviously. You can always find "raw potato" in the database and use that.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

LOL, what? ^^^ Unless is specifies nutritional content is "cooked", use the raw content.
    Hey, let me ask you a question. Can you read? Because that's exactly what I said: "It all depends, as janemem said, on the MFP entry." And that's why my first two sentences in my post point out exactly that.
    You think bacon goes from being 50-75 calories per slice to what, exactly when its cooked?
    mfpbacon.png

If you choose 1 slice raw vs 1 slice cooked, the difference in calories is over three fold. I actually weigh my food rather than use the mysterious "slice" but the point remains the same.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Mmm, potatoes.