Beginning Intermittent Fasting tomorrow! :O)

Options
Thank you MFP peeps for your support! I have only just begun (again) my journey to weight loss.

My name is Jus, and I'm a 27 year old Asian female and in need of some support!

My body stats:
-5 feet, 3 inches tall
-139 lbs!

I hope to get down to 120 lbs by my birthday coming up in mid August!

My issue has always been with sticking to something. So I am going to come online here daily to find some support and for accountability, too!

I am committing to:
1. Coming online to MFP daily for an update of the day and a fitness commitment for the next day.
2. Intermittent Fasting tomorrow (just water and whey protein until 600pm)

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a debbie downer but 19lbs may not be a realistic goal to reach. You don't have much weight to lose so it will come off slower. Try a low carb diet if you're looking for a quick fix. You will lose a ton of water weight fast. Good luck with intermittent fasting. I do it occassionally and I love it.
  • unsweet2012
    unsweet2012 Posts: 23
    Options
    Aww, thanks for your support! I really do appreciate your response! Hehe...you're probably right about that...losing all that weight that quickly will be a challenge! Okay, my goal for tomorrow will be to do IF until 6pm and a low-carb dinner that night. :O) I'm gonna hafta take this day by day! I will return tomorrow to let you know how it goes...thank you again! :O)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    6pm sounds like too long of a fast. I know a popular rule to follow is eating only within an eight hour window (for instance 12pm-8pm). If you wait until 6pm you'll only have one meal which can't really be as many calories as you need. Good luck, though. Since you only have 19 pounds to lose it may come off slower. Dont get discouraged.
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Thanks roachhaley for your support! :O) Especially the part about not getting discouraged...that tends to happen to me so easily! But I think that people like you on MFP will be a really great support. Thank you!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a debbie downer but 19lbs may not be a realistic goal to reach. You don't have much weight to lose so it will come off slower.

This.

Also, I do Eat Stop Eat occasionally, and I love it. Usually I do a 36-hour fast (just the way it ends up happening with my work schedule.. I plan it so I fast on work days), but 24 hours is most accepted. Check out ESE, though.. I read the eBook and it had tons of great (researched) information, and I know of many people who have had success with it.

Good luck!
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Erindipitous, thank you for your support! Book sounds great! :O)
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Fast for 16 hours and eat 8
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    I did 16-8 IFing today...could've done better but I think I was stress-eating!

Tomorrow's goal: IF until 11am (I have a lunch to attend.) Second feeding window will be from 5-7pm. Record everything! :O)

Thanks for your support, friends. :O)
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a debbie downer but 19lbs may not be a realistic goal to reach. You don't have much weight to lose so it will come off slower. Try a low carb diet if you're looking for a quick fix. You will lose a ton of water weight fast. Good luck with intermittent fasting. I do it occassionally and I love it.

could you tell me more about this intermittent fasting? I have heard of it before and is it safe to be doing this. Won't the body go into starvatoin mode?
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I hope to get down to 120 lbs by my birthday coming up in mid August!

All the best on your journey. I am at the same height as you and personally.....I have never thought of being 130lbs (impossible for me) not to even dare think of 120lbs! At 160lbs which is my lowest ever, people thought I was anorexic!!!!! So why not follow the others advice and do it nice and slow as you don't have much to loss to start with. Does this make any sense?
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a debbie downer but 19lbs may not be a realistic goal to reach. You don't have much weight to lose so it will come off slower.

I agree - I'm around the same height/weight as you and it has taken me 3 months to lose 7lb (admittedly I've not been quite as focused as you though)
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your note! I have read that starvation mode kicks in when the body goes for a prolonged period of time with insufficient calories (i.e. an entire week,) but research has shown that within the first day or two of a fast, metabolism actually increases. IF-ing is basically fasting for a short period of time, i.e. 16 hours (including while sleeping) then having a feeding window of perhaps 8 hours, where I don't completely gorge my tummy out but eat perhaps a nice lunch at 12, then a snack at 3, then dinner at 8 (an 8 hour feeding window.) There are lots of different ways to do IF though, and you can vary the feeding windows. You could also do alternate day fasts, etc. Lean Gains and Eat Stop Eat have a lot of helpful info on their websites as well! While fasting, there are some studies that have shown that your fat burning mechanisms are enhanced during a fasted state. Thanks and best wishes to you!
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Well done on your 7 lbs! :O) That's awesome! I'll keep ya posted on how this IF lifestyle works out.. :O)
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Congrats on your 17 lbs loss! Yes, it does make sense to lose weight slow and steady...hehe I guess I just get impatient sometimes and lost 10 lbs in a month last December without trying...but it was also a stressful and emotional month at that...gained all the weight back this year and a few pounds more!

My hope is to mainly just STICK WITH MYFITNESSPAL by recording my foods, staying in contact with y'all, and creating/meeting goals day by day....I've always had difficulty sticking to things...but it's nice to be interacting in cyberspace with real human beings...I think you will all be a big help to me in staying accountable! :O)
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think I may start this with you. I've done some reading on it before but have never fully comitted to doing it. I am also 5'3" and about 135. I was 127 for a while and have recentely gained. I would like to be about 120-125. Good luck!! So are you doing 16/8? Just so happens I've been fasting for 16 hours already and didnt plan it. I had a late flight yesterday and didnt eat since my stop over and didnt want to eat late when I got home. So in 10 minutes I will be at 16 hours but I am debating since I've gone this long and not entirely hungry if I should start with a 20/4. Any thoughts?
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Awesome! And Thanks! It will be fun to have a IF partner in crime. I would totally do 20-4 with you on those days that I don't have a pre-planned social meal in the middle of the day. My best goes out to you, too!!
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    Well I managed to get to 17 hours today!! I would really like to try 20, I'm going to aim for it tomorrow. Are you eating certain foods/calories during your eating window?
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    17 hours - yay! Yeah, I'm aiming for more lower carb foods and veggies! But I didn't do that yesterday...gave in the the refined carb draw! :oP
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    Hey, how is it going with this? sorry I have been MIA on this. I've been so busy with work. Today I am attempting a 24 hour fas. I last ate at 6pm yesterday and it's now 11:20am here.