On low fat eating...

Options
callmeBAM
callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
Low fat is not good.
Case and point: When eating salad, you need fat in order to absorb the nutrients. If you're eating a lot of salads with no or low fat dressings, you're not coming close to receiving the full benefits nutritionally.

I am just sad from seeing all the low fat items in diarys. Our bodies NEED good fats! And when you see something labeled as a "low fat" version of the original, it usually has more sugar and is packed with foreign ingredients to make the item palatable.

Replies

• sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Low saturated and trans fat is good.......low poly and monounsaturated fat is bad. When I eat a salad I usually put some almonds or walnuts on it for the good fats.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This is why we're friends

Make the most of your calories... Obsessing over lite/lo-fat means you're trying to shove as much junk into your hole as possible while getting the least amount of valuable nutrients. Fat is a valuable nutrient.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I make up for the dressing by adding cheese and bacon.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Coldn't agree more.. I add a tbs of extra virgin coconut to my morning coffee...YUM!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Whoops...extra virgin coconut OIL ( key word) to my morning coffee!
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can you give some examples of what "good fat" we should be eating? I need help with knowing what to eat:)
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    :heart: this
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    yep!
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    Can you give some examples of what "good fat" we should be eating? I need help with knowing what to eat:)

Oils: Avocado Oil, Macadamia Oil, Unprocessed Palm Oil, Butter/Ghee, Olive Oil, Walnut Oil, Coconut Oil/Milk, Sesame Oil, Lard, Tallow

Nuts and seeds: Almonds, Pecans,Sunflower Seeds, Brazil Nuts, Pine Nuts, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, Nut Butters, Hempseeds, Pumpkin seeds, Macadamias, Sesame Seeds (NOT PEANUTS)

Grass fed bird eggs
    Grass fed butter
    Grass fed meats
    Grass fed fish... just kidding. Fish. :)

Not a complete list.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    All of the sugar from low fat and processed foods was killing my weight loss. I switched to low carb and fats and I have never felt better!!
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is something I really struggle to get my head around. I eat incredibly low fat because I just have a fear of fats, good or bad.
    It's the word 'fat', scares the hell out of me.
    I am trying to improve though, in the last week I've started tracking 'Saturated Fat' in my food diary as well as 'Fat' so I can get a better idea of how much of the 'bad' fat I'm having instead of just focusing on the total fat intake.
    I wish I could come to terms with the 'fat is good' idea though.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with my low-fat diet, thanks. It works for me.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mm avocado
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is something I really struggle to get my head around. I eat incredibly low fat because I just have a fear of fats, good or bad.
    I am trying to improve though, in the last week I've started tracking 'Saturated Fat' in my food diary as well as 'Fat' so I can get a better idea of how much of the 'bad' fat I'm having instead of just focusing on the total fat intake.

This is true. A lot of people have a hard time because "low fat " has been ingrained in our every thought!!:happy:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

this is true. a LOT of people have a problem with understanding it. its normal.
    but you should read books on it! it will scientifically explain why fat is good (and why low carb diets are better than low fat)
    once you understand it, it makes perfect sense.
  • callmeBAM
    Options

Good point, let's throw science and nutritional facts out the window for your biased opinion.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Good point, let's throw science and nutritional facts out the window for your biased opinion.

Thanks for the slam. Welcome to ignoreville.
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options
    SO good to see this! This is so true! I have known so many people to switch to low/no fat and low/no sugar foods and never lose a pound! Your body NEEDS fat!!