Not sure what to do

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for about a year now. In the being it was easy. I quit drinking carbonated beverages and lost 30 lbs quick. But can't seem to loose a single pound since then. I eat fruit and veggies all the time (try to stay in a 1000 to 1200 calories diet). I walk a mile 3 mornings a week and 2 every evening. My husband decided to get serious and start getting health about two months ago and has lost over 25 pounds eating the same things I eat and only walking in the evenings. I also walk all day at work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• SkinnyMountainWitch
    Options
    I'm not sure what your current weight is, but could your calorie intake be too low? I know that sounds silly, but eating less than the recommended caloric intake is not a good weight loss plan. It sounds like you are active, so you need to take in more calories to keep your body from thinking it is going into starvation mode.

I would also suggest mixing up your exercise. Your body really does get used to the exercise it has been getting. When you shake things up with jogging or circuit training, your body says, "Whoa, what's going on" and you'll see results.

Keep up the good work!
    Karen:flowerforyou:
  • apriltandy
    Options
    My current weight is 171. According to MFP I should only be eating 1200 calories per day. I did step up the work out last night and started jogging with the walking. Hope it helps. I will also be adding a core workout program this week as well.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You can't eat less than 1200 a day because then your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism stalls.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and only eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day, plus have an active job, then you are not eating enough.

Set your MFP to 1 lb per week and then eat what it tells you. Don't leave calories at the end of the day.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What's making up your calorie intake? For me personally, I eat 16-1900 calories per day (and have dropped 35 pounds since January and still dropping) but I try to avoid processed foods and sugars. An Avocado has fat and calories, but is going to help you lose weight and get healthier faster than a fast food sandwich with the same amount...

Also, aerobic exercise needs to be maintained at like 60-80% of your maximum heart rate for a period of 20-30 minutes to have any affect (target heart rate). Walking probably is not gonna achieve that... just sayin'. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I was stuck at a certain weight. I found out on here that i wasn't eating enough calories, i was eating 1200. For 5'9" it wasn't enough. Since i upped my calories to 1400, iv'e started losing weight again.

21790325.png[/url

keep forgetting to add my ticker. :)
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    looked at your day yesterday said you only ate 600 calories, you need to eat at least 1200 calories
  • Griderrr
    Griderrr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    what I have been told is cardio will make you lose weight but not keep it OFF- you must turn to weight training and make muscles,,, not aful huge ones-- just muscle... this is probably why guys do better than gals in getting lean,, weights, machines whatever-- resistance,
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A 1200 calorie intake is for people with sedentary lives like me (meaning you barely move). Walking 2 miles a night isn't sedentary. That's probably why you aren't losing. Change your settings to at least "lightly active" and see what it gives you. If I walk for 5 minutes, I log it (not on here anymore, but I have a log book).

And don't make the mistake of comparing your weight loss with your husbands. Men and women are not the same when it comes to the body.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just to throw this out there....Do you eat back your exercise calories? Some people grossly overestimate how many calories they burn when they work out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What adjustments you need to make can depend on a lot of things. Unless you are petite or have a lot to lose, you should probably be eating more overall. If you don't have a lot left to lose, you need to reset your goals to 1/2 or 1 lb per week and eat that amount.

If you are already not doing so, eat back at least some of your exercise calories. Your metabolism will work better if your body is properly fueled. Also, you might want to add some strength training to make sure you are losing more fat than muscle. You don't have to lift heavy weights if that's not your thing (though go for it if it is your thing). Resistance bands, body weight exercises, or lighter weights will also help you keep muscle.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. With the exercise you do, you need to add some calories. 1200 isn't cutting it and you are probably in starvation mode.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Eat more and increase the pace and variety of your exercise.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I looked at your daily food intake. You truly need to eat more! Not enough calories... Try eating some healthy snacks in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Try to stay away from processed packaged foods or breaded foods. They are extremely high in calories, carbs and sodium which leads to water retention. Also for me I stay clear of any and all fast food places (even for drinks). They are not the best choice if you are serious about the weight loss- that McDonalds tea consumed 59 carbs-wow. Yes it is difficult, but it is how badly you want to see the change in you and how you feel and on the scale. They are loaded with unnecessary calories, sugar and carbs, Drink lots and lots of water. Fill yourself up on healthy foods which will prevent the feeling of wanting to have desert or indulge unnecessarily. Small changes at a time and remember to take things slowly. Also, don't over weigh. Maybe pick one day at the end of the week, naked and first thing in the morning to weigh. Otherwise maybe pick an article of clothing and see how it feels. We tend to be very critical of ourselves and remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • apriltandy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and keep it coming, I need it. And I need people to keep me going.

Yes I know my calorie Intake for the last couple of days has been really low. My husband and I have been trying new foods and new ways to cook things. I have to change my mine set, and that has not been easy. All my life it seems like if I look at food I can gain weight. So to lose weight I avoid food I am trying to change that, and I deff need help. As for the McDonalds I know I need to quit most of the time I get an unsweet tea unless I am having a really low blood sugar morning and need a quick pick up. It is my caffine I went from Coke to tea and now its time to stop, just not really ready for the headaches.

We have put ourselves on a very tight budget due to the fact that we are building a house. The two of usare building it from the ground up and doing it with no payments so extra money for the gym is out, but in turn I will be lifting heavy boards and stuff. We pour concrete on Saturday and I can't wait to get started. That is why if you look back at my exercise you see snow shoveling in June it was actually gravel and dirt.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Get tested at the doc's office. A five minute blood test will tell you if something is going on. I'm exercise/diet controlled diabetic. Having the excess insulin causes some screwy results sometimes. (FYI: Insulin is a hormone that tells the white fat cell to take up glucose and fat from the blood and store them as fat.)

This means that I do not lose weight easily or quickly. And if I don't keep my sugar/protein levels pretty even during the day it's a pretty good given that I won't lose at all. (I see that you mention low blood sugar mornings)

Other issues might be thyroid problems or female hormone issues.

Good luck!
  • apriltandy
    Options
    Yes I have been monitoring for a while, my sugars stay around the 60 to 80 mark. I am trying to find the right combination of foods to help without having to use meds(suggested by my Doc) because I have only had a problem since I started losing weight. But not letting that detour me. I have cut out most starchs, such as pastas, breads, potatoes stuff like that. I really dont care for them anyway so that was not hard. The hard part is eating enough during the day. I start work a 8 and don't get lunch till 12:30 and most of the time don't even have time to think about taking a drink little lone eating something, the same for after lunch till I go home. Any suggestions on good quick snacks?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been monitoring for a while, my sugars stay around the 60 to 80 mark. I am trying to find the right combination of foods to help without having to use meds(suggested by my Doc) because I have only had a problem since I started losing weight. But not letting that detour me. I have cut out most starchs, such as pastas, breads, potatoes stuff like that. I really dont care for them anyway so that was not hard. The hard part is eating enough during the day. I start work a 8 and don't get lunch till 12:30 and most of the time don't even have time to think about taking a drink little lone eating something, the same for after lunch till I go home. Any suggestions on good quick snacks?

Yes, actually, that I can help with. I usually choose Almonds, Carrots, green apples (less sugar, more fiber than reg apples) and strawberries. Not bananas as 1 banana is 2 sugar servings. (the doc should have given you a chart explaining which fruits/veggies are better). Just as an FYI, almonds and strawberries are fat blockers. Almonds and cinnamon can help regulate your sugar. Almonds are my go to snack. I keep a huge bag. 24 a day is ideal, as they help with my other health probs too. They are 7 cals each and I usually split them into sets of 6 or eight then eat with fruit veggie of choice.

Also, I drink a boatload of water and decaf green tea.

Here is info:
    WebMD Health News
    Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

Both black tea and green tea are good for diabetes, a rat study shows. They also prevent diabetic animals from developing cataracts.

The findings appear in the May 4 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

"Black and green tea represent a potentially inexpensive, nontoxic, and, in fact, pleasurable [blood-sugar-lowering] agent," the researchers write. "Tea may be a simple, inexpensive means of preventing or retarding human diabetes and the ensuing complications."

In the study, the researchers gave green and black teas to diabetic rats for three months.

They found both kinds of tea inhibited diabetic cataracts. The teas also had a blood-sugar-lowering effect.

To get the same dose of tea given to the rats, a 143-pound person would have to drink 4.5 8-ounce cups of tea every day.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Actually I didn't realize I could look at a person's exercise as well as food diary. I am fairly new at this-cool. When I clicked up top, I saw mine and moved on. I now see it at the bottom. Thanks for sharing that. Good luck in the house build. That is awesome. Do what you can and try to log as much as you can and eat as best as you can. I understand the gym/vs. money thing. I only joined the basic plan with luckily no contract for $9.95 month. It's something. When I'm not there, it walking or something else for free. Building a house or carrying heavy loads should be listed :-) Be careful.