when should I start toning.....

Options
Ok well I have lost about 21 pounds and I'm hearing different answers as to when I should start toning up...could I start now or wait until I've lost all the weight I want to lose which is between 125 to150...please help I'm so confused

Replies

• Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    IMO - Start now! Why would you wait? I once read that people who are overweight have muscle under there. they need it to move all that weight around. If you wait to start then you could lose all that base muscle.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's never too early to start lifting weights!
  • sipseyab
    sipseyab Posts: 59
    Options
    Strenghth training should be part of your exercise routine now. And "toning" is just building muscle. Strength training regularly will increase your metabolic rate.
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Strenghth training should be part of your exercise routine now. And "toning" is just building muscle. Strength training regularly will increase your metabolic rate.

this is always what i have heard. I have not been doing strength training because after cardio i just don't have the strength to do anymore.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

This! The only thing I'd add is you should of started yesterday :wink:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Start building muscle, not toning, now. There's no weight loss requirement of when to start.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    this is always what i have heard. I have not been doing strength training because after cardio i just don't have the strength to do anymore.

Strength training should be done *before* cardio. Give that a try.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have not been doing strength training because after cardio i just don't have the strength to do anymore.
    Well flip your exercise around. First of all as you mentioned you'll be too tired after cardio to do a good job with the strength training. Secondly those calories you burn during strength training use up your glycogen stores (blood sugar energy - a.k.a. carbs). If you do your cardio right after strength training and keep your heart rate in fat burning zone your body will be more likely to resort to using stored fat for energy. It has to because your strength training used up the freely available energy in your blood stream.

You get stronger, and burn more fat. That's a win-win.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    You don't "tone" the body. What is "toning" anyway? LIFTING WEIGHTS. When you lift weights you are building muscle or preserving muscle. And that should be done now and not later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd start toning/strength training along with cardio. Muscle also helps burn fat, and there are a lot of really good workout DVDs out there that integrate strength training and cardio. Some of my favorites are Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or her Last Chance Workout, and Bob Harper's Biggest Loser DVDs. Both of them mix cardio with upper and lower body routines. From squats, pushups, tricept curls, to jumping, quick feet, and high knees. Plus, in working out to the Biggest Loser DVDs, it motivates me to see people from the show working out as well, who are heavier than I am. If they can do it, so can I.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Lift weights now. You don't want any of that weight loss to be lean mass. Good strength training will preserve that mass.

And as someone else mentioned, yeah, do it BEFORE cardio or on different days...you don't need 7 days of cardio.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.....lol
    Seriously, this very moment is the moment you've been waiting for. Strength training is great.
    Go!:drinker:
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah that to what everyone else says. Strength train, tone, lift weights (whatever you want to call it) TODAY!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Lift weights now. You don't want any of that weight loss to be lean mass. Good strength training will preserve that mass.

And as someone else mentioned, yeah, do it BEFORE cardio or on different days...you don't need 7 days of cardio.

Ditto. I don't lift on my heavy cardio days. On the days that I lift weights, I do it first and go all out, and then if I'm up to it I do some kind of light cardio afterward. You'll notice really great changes in your body with strength training, so get started!

The one thing I will caution you about is DON'T freak out if the scale stops moving for a little while (or just slows down). You're not gaining weight. Your muscles are retaining fluid to help repair them, and you will notice changes in your measurements. Your body fat percentage will be going down, so don't stress about the # on the scale. :smile:
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Lift weights & build muscle (or 'tone' if you prefer the word) now, so that as the weight/fat melts away your lovely, toned muscles will be revealed. Why get to that point and THEN have to work on them when they could be helping you do the work along the way?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Alternate strength days with cardio and you'll be off to a great start!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    NOW!!!!!!!!
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the more muscle you build/tone the faster you'll burn off the fat - muscle burns fat even while at rest :happy:
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This! The only thing I'd add is you should of started yesterday :wink:

^ This!! Don't wait.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    OMG! You used the "T-word"!!! While perfectly acceptable on other fitness sites and in health and fitness magazines, it is taboo on the the MFP forums. Prepare yourself for the attacks.