Coffee Anyone?

Options
Coffee: Do you think I should or should not drink it? I only put a dash of cream enough to make it not solid black and drink about 2/3 6oz cups a day. I hear some people say it causes fluid retention and some says it dont and I've heard it hinders weight loss and then I've heard it doesn't. And I've heard regular coffee is a duretic and decaf is unhealthy due to chemicals to make it decaf (which I don't drink decaf usually) It get me going in the morning tho and I only drink it on weekdays at work and don't ever drink it on the weekend. I've wondered if that is preventing me from getting my last 3 pounds off? What's everyones thoughts on this...to drink or to not drink coffee?? BTW: This is the only drink I consume other than water. No beverages of any sort.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I drink it... a bunch of it! I usually drink about 24 oz per day if I had to guess. I don't drink decaf, but that is just because I don't like the taste.

As far as decaf having extra chemicals, it really depends on the process and how well they are "rinsed" afterwards. Making coffee is a chemical extraction where you take hot water and extract the oils and chemicals out of the coffee beans. The decaf processes all pretty much use some sort of chemical extraction that only extracts the caffeine. Some caffeine extraction processes use chemicals that would be considered harmful, others use water or CO2, which we breath all day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 - 3 cups a day and it doesn't seem to have interfered in any way with my ability to lose weight and keep it off. I take mine black, no sugar, and never use decaf or instant.
    It get me going in the morning tho and I only drink it on weekdays at work and don't ever drink it on the weekend.

Ever have headaches on the weekends?
  • email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have read SO many studies on coffee and the benefits you can get from it.

So do some research and see where that info hits home for you.

I think what you put into your coffee greatly depends on weight loss. And what you say you put into your coffee really doesn't sound very detrimental. So I don't think it's something I would worry about if I were you.

I gave up coffee for the first two weeks of my diet/lifestyle change. It was no where near as difficult as I thought it would be. But after those two weeks were up, I really missed the coffee - not due to withdrawal or anything like that, I just missed having a hot drink, tea wasn't cutting it for me, coffee was truly an enjoyment. So I switched it up a bit. I did have regular, half decaf and I completely overhauled my creamer (no sweetened creamers) and just used splenda and half and half (or sometimes real cream) and it took a few days to get used to the change, but I made it a compromise for myself and it worked. I continued to lose weight and didn't see where it made much of a difference to me. If I hadn't changed what I put into it, I'm sure it would have stalled me.

Good Luck!
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee most every morning. Black. Just because you're dieting doesn't mean you should give up "everything." Just keep a balance.
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I used to drink tons of it, no wonder i was always on edge. :explode: I'm now into green tea, and a lot calmer. lol

21790325.png
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee almost daily. It helps to keep me...ummm...regular...lol. I don't believe it will impede my progress if consumed in moderation. I don't drink anything else, most of the time, aside from water. You have to do what's best for you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Coffee: Do you think I should or should not drink it? I only put a dash of cream enough to make it not solid black and drink about 2/3 6oz cups a day. I hear some people say it causes fluid retention and some says it dont and I've heard it hinders weight loss and then I've heard it doesn't. And I've heard regular coffee is a duretic and decaf is unhealthy due to chemicals to make it decaf (which I don't drink decaf usually) It get me going in the morning tho and I only drink it on weekdays at work and don't ever drink it on the weekend. I've wondered if that is preventing me from getting my last 3 pounds off? What's everyones thoughts on this...to drink or to not drink coffee?? BTW: This is the only drink I consume other than water. No beverages of any sort.
    It causes fluid retention and it's a diuretic? Neat trick.
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning, sometimes a cup in the afternoon, and one in the evening with cream:ohwell: no sugar, i always mark it in diary, and it seems it has not effected my weight loss thus far..:) i love coffee
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee; one or two a day, I drink it with milk and sweetner. I would try to switch to milk from creamer if I was you because cream is high in fat but if your only putting a little and it fits in your calorie goal you should be fine :) I use to drink alot more but switched to green tea after my meals!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My lovely son has just made me a cup - so that would be a yes. Must admit I only have around 3 cups a day and most of the time dont finish them and the rest time I drink redbush tea or water.
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drink it! I always have coffee in the morning. I switched to Hazelnut coffee so I get the flavor without the flavored creamer calories and I just use fat free creamer.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do, everyday!!! I neeeeed it, lol- but in reality, I have always had it in the morning, before and during weight loss.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. Coffee good. :happy:
  • dladd103
    dladd103 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would take coffee in an IV if it didn't kill me. As a nutrition student, they teach us that coffee, like any brain chemistry-altering substance, affects everyone differently. Since you aren't putting in milk or sugar and you hardly drink any at all, I wouldn't be concerned. There are actually new studies out that shows caffeine intake right before a work out actually improves performance and muscle growth, trick is you can't drink it all the time like I do. You are supposed to cut it out of diet completely and take the pills before a workout. This would never happen in my life so I haven't read too much more up on it but I saw it in a few different places, mainly scooby's workshop. Every science is ever evolving and what we "know" always changes. Nutrition even more so, since it is such a young science. Not too long ago we thought all grains were the same and that people HAD to get protein from meat (heme-source). Oh and I sometimes miss my morning coffee and I NEVER get headaches and I drink coffee several times a day. If my Dad has even half a cup of coffee he feels like he is having a coronary. Like I said, everyone if different. If you like it and it isn't negatively affecting you, keep on trucking!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    YES...Coffee is good!! Unless otherwise not suggested by your MD>>>>:drinker:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of it. I'd say it's my worst "vice", but pretty mild as far as vices go...
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Here is where I am at after talking with my doctors. The cardiologist wants me to keep the caffeinated coffee to two cups a day or less. The urologist absolutely wants it to be 3 or less. That means I can have a decaf. Some studies say that more coffee is better in deterring certain types of cancer. I am still at 2 and 1. It seems to be working for me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Try to take my coffee, and I will cut you where it don't grow back!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Coffee never hindered my weight loss. I use minimal milk and no sugar. At 1-2 cups 4 days a week, it's barely a drop in the bucket. Do the calories still count? Sure. But it's not a difficult vice to fit into your day and still lose weight.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried to give up coffee once.... I don't think I can disclose any more....