Fitness NSV and efficiency

Options
For the first time in over a year, I went to the rec center and worked out. It was scary! Lol! But I managed to do the 35 minute "weight loss" program on the elliptical machine, and I burned 255 calories. I was proud of myself that I actually did it, instead of thinking, "Wow, I really need to get back to working out!" as I had been doing for the 364 days before that. :)

Efficiency-wise, is the elliptical machine the best way to go for the best bang for your buck, so to speak? I'm limited to somewhat low-impact exercise, so floor aerobics are out. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Good job getting at it!!!!!!

As for calorie efficiency... elliptical seems pretty good, if there's a pool swimming can be good too.. look up HIIT (high intensity interval training) too!

& don't forget to do strength training!!! :) It's not as much of a calorie burner but the visual results will probably please you !
  • Sahri21
    Sahri21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about bang for your buck, but I love the elliptical. I've always felt it gives me a good workout and is low impact on the joints. Make sure you use the moving handles not the stationary ones, and don't lean to one side and use your weight to move the pedals. Stand up straight, keep your core engaged. This will ensure you're using the machine properly and are burning the most calories.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks! They do have a pool, and I've tried water aerobics before, though not in a while. Sahri, I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly, since it always seems like I'm crouching, and the pedals are too high, or something...
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I very much enjoy the elliptical, though I usually stick to the manual setting...there are so many elliptical variations out there too, I think th YMCA here by my folks has at least 3different types of ellipticals.