question for adding muscle

Options
Basically I was trying to lose a few lbs from my more sedentary career so I set up this account and started tracking. But, since then I started a routine of lifting MWF and HIIT on Tuesday Thursday.

My question is if I am doing all of this exercise 5 days a week should I be eating to a deficit? I had set up my Food diary so that I would have a goal of losing .5lbs a week so I try to make sure to eat nearly exactly my allotted calories, but that number is set up to have me eating to a deficit (goal of .5lbs a week loss).

I am thinking that I want to try to add muscle and for once stick to a lifting plan too. I always used to do just Cardio, but I want to see how big I can get. My initial desire was only to lose maybe 15 lbs of beer and pizza weight, but now I think I would like to add some muscle.

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Muscle = calorie surplus + protein + heavy lifting.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    The presence of lactic acid has an inhibitory effect on ATP generation within the muscle; though not producing fatigue, it can inhibit or even stop performance if the intracellular concentration becomes too high. However, long-term training causes neovascularization within the muscle, increasing the ability to move waste products out of the muscles and maintain contraction. Once moved out of muscles with high concentrations within the sarcomere, lactic acid can be used by other muscles or body tissues as a source of energy, or transported to the liver where it is converted back to pyruvate. In addition to increasing the level of lactic acid, strenuous exercise causes the loss of potassium ions in muscle and causing an increase in potassium ion concentrations close to the muscle fibres, in the interstitium. Acidification by lactic acid may allow recovery of force so that acidosis may protect against fatigue rather than being a cause of fatigue.
  • Flatliners99
    Options
    Its easier to do one thing than both at the same time.

If you want to gain muscle...have a calorie surplus (as Captain_Tight mentioned), consume around about 1g of protein per pound of body weight (ie. if you weighed 160lbs, you want to be consuming around about 160g of protein) and undertake a weight training program which hits all of the major muscles (back, legs + chest). Stronglifts 5x5 training is very good for this.

Whilst on a calorie surplus it is likely that some fat will be added so its best to eat as "clean" as possible...ie try not to hit your calorie requirement by scoffing a shed load of biscuits.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks. I got the protein down and now I am going to up my calories. I think this might help with the recovery too.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks. I got the protein down and now I am going to up my calories. I think this might help with the recovery too.

It also takes time, ive been bulking for 5 years now. Eat big, lift big my friend.