Frustrated, PLEASE HELP!!

Options
I need some help! I’ve hitting the end of my 5th week today and am just not seeing a lot of results. I’ve only lost 11 lbs. Problem is that my SW was 263 so I would think being huge, that I would see more results. I’m eating within my calorie goals, exercising 4-5 days a week either at the gym or at home and not eating back those calories. My loss has slowed in the past 2 weeks. Can someone take a look at my diary and let me know if something looks off? I feel like I’m doing everything that I should be. I think some of it may be muscle because I know I’m getting stronger. My husband was goofing around and tried pinning my arms behind me and had a harder time doing it and mentioned so the other day. I was able to do 5 reps of an ab exercise this morning that I couldn’t do one of 3 weeks ago. Did any other “big” people see this stall with their weight loss so early? I’m staying motivated because I’m still losing, even though it’s slow and I feel healthier and more alert. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 5 weeks is nothing to complain or feel frustrated about.

You're doing fine. Just keep working at it. It's going to take a long time to reach your goal. You need to make peace with that now and be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

I started at 230 pounds, and am currently at 194. It took me 6 months to get here. I have another 24lbs to reach before I'm at my goal. That might take another 6 months. That's just how it works sometimes.

Good luck!

Edit to say that I did take a look at your diary. It seems like the last couple of days you've been restricting more....probably because you think your weight loss is slowing down. Don't do that. You need food to fuel your body and to give you the energy for your workouts. Keep eating like you were a couple of weeks ago. If you don't believe me....do a search for "Eat More, Weigh Less". Lots of good info out there.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 5 weeks are results, unless I'm missing something. Healthy weight loss is usually up to 2 pounds/week, so what's the problem?
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did look at your diary from yesterday and today, and you might want to lower your sodium intake. Add more vegetables and fruit, there is a lot of fat and cholesterol and sodium in dairy products, including cheese. But most of all persevere, you are seeing results and that is awesome.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I found myself in a similar position. I have quite a bit of weight to lose yet and hit a plateau where I didn't lose any weight for 7-8 weeks. Type plateau in the search here and read all of the articles. While you haven't hit a plateau and are still losing weight, it's important to read all the information out there on weight lose, what works for some doesn't work for others and gives you ideas of other things to try.

First and foremost, don't gie up hope, keep doing the hard work and you are being successful. The end results take time and dedication.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is a good and sustainable rate of loss. Focus on the fact that you're steadily losing, don't worry about how quickly it goes, and do celebrate all those little benefits you're noticing. The number on the scale is just one factor of the fitness journey!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think your weight loss is fine. A quick look at your diary and i think you should up your daily calories, and eat more when you're exercising.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in 5 weeks is great! You should be proud not frustrated! I've "only" lost 6 pounds in about 5 or 6 weeks... but I love every single one! I'm working hard and I bet you are too.

Slowly losing weight is the best way to do it. The faster you lose weight, the more likely it is to be gained back.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wow marjoleina I just looked at my sodium intake from yesterday (hard to see on my phone app). That sodium intake from the salad at lunch killed it for the day! I was still under recomended but just barely.

Everyone else ~ thanks!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well! 11 lbs in 5 weeks is definitely a result! I would just keep at it, keep doing what you're doing, except maybe try to eat a little closer to the goal MFP gives you (and eat your exercise calories). MFP is designed to give you a reasonable calorie deficit even without exercise, and if you don't eat back the exercise calories, your deficit could be too large. It might not be a problem to start with, while you still have a way to go, but you could run into problems with plateaus further down the line.

You're doing a lot of exercise, so your body needs the fuel. Of course, we want it to take that fuel from our fat stores, but unfortunately, it will only take so much energy from fat; it will also burn lean mass (muscle) for energy. Although most people lose a little muscle as they lose weight, it's best to minimise that loss as much as you can. As frustrating as it is, slow and steady is best!

Honestly though, you're doing brilliantly, just got to keep at it now! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!! You are losing more than 2 lbs a week and getting stronger! That's awesome! You can do more and/or eat less and probably lose faster, at least at first. But you will probably not feel as good and will run a higher risk of giving up because you'll be too hungry.

Just stick with what you are doing because it is clearly working for you!
  • jcharlotte
    jcharlotte Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You've done excellent so far! I was 174LBS..Now I'm 144Lbs. my weight fell off faster when I gave up soda, I made myself, it was hard but I did..I do occasionally have one maybe one a month but I drink ice water w. lemon. And if I make a chicken or tuna salad, I use a light mayo or a greek yogurt FF or low fat.. w. dried or fresh herbs. NO SALT!! Also,Try Hummus:) The more fiber the better
    Your doing amazing!!! WTG GIRL:)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It's hard when we first start not to see immediate and dramatic results, afterall, they do on TV!

a 2-pound/week weight loss is amazing! You really *shouldn't* be losing more than that, slow and steady wins the weight loss for life race!

If it were easy to lose weight, we wouldn't all be here. Keep up the good fight, I'm inthe same weight-loss-boat as you, I've lost 22 pounds so far. We can do it, stick with it
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others 11lbs in 5 weeks is a great pace. My opinion and just man opinion is I would increase your calories slightly on workout days say just by 100-200 calories and get more protein. Try maybe to get about 75-100 grams by chicken or fish. Another recommendation would be cut out some of possible all simple carbs and find substitutes for the white breads, chips, potato salads. Go with whole wheat complex carbs and they will break down slower. Still carbs which we need some just a better option. Try to increase your water intake as well, I know some have a hard time with this but it can help. You are on the right track and with some tweaking you will have this with out a doubt. Be proud of your accomplishments!!
  • jbjujitsu
    jbjujitsu Posts: 9
    Options
    11 lbs in 5 weeks is GREAT! The general average is 1.5-2 lbs per week so you are really making some GREAT progress. And you also said your getting stronger and more fit. JUST KEEP IT UP!!!!